topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Are you testing XP SP3 RC ??  (Read 68954 times)

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Are you testing XP SP3 RC ??
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2007, 02:18 PM »
Microsoft has published the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview as a PDF.

http://www.microsoft...0&DisplayLang=en

Funny how clear they make it,  "You Aren't Getting Any New Features In Here! (So Be Sure To Buy Vista For That!)".  Wouldn't want anyone to think XP was adding something of value on the level of Vista.

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2007, 03:05 AM »
I don't trust that 100% number. Its a single data point and thus is not statistically significant. I want to see benchmarks across a variety of hardware before we go claiming that it actually speeds up things by that much.

Zjooj

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2007, 01:42 PM »
I have to interject!! Nighted, you slay me!!  :Wizard: too funny!!

Pretty sure I saw a post in the current newsletter about this forums "gentle" nature. There has been more than one occasion in this post alone that someone could have started a flame war and been pissy but all just let it roll off and fire back another smart-a$$ comment. I love it!! Just love it...proud to be a part!! Thanks :Thmbsup:

Silverchip

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Is it really needed right now? I really hate downloading things that microsoft just put out. Video updates from windows updates always fail :-\.......... Anyhow seem like a future plan.

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2007, 01:57 PM »
Nighted, thanks for risking your crumpets.  :-)
brave_little_toaster_rescue_small.jpg

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2007, 05:25 PM »
Awwww, I love that movie :D (only #1 though, the sequels sucked).
- carpe noctem

blarson

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Had my first adverse, but predictable side affect of SP3 when I tried to load the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120) fix. It failed because it thought it was already updated. It isn't a security issue, but would allow Vista to do a network map of XP machines. It should be loaded before SP3. Waiting for Patch Tuesday with interest.

Stephen47

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Windows is telling me that SP3 is 70 MB not the 337 mentioned in the first post. Why is this?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 08:14 PM »
Windows is telling me that SP3 is 70 MB not the 337 mentioned in the first post. Why is this?

The FULL installer is 337MB, if you're using the hack to make Windows Update think that you're part of the beta team it will only download and install the bits that you haven't already installed...

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 04:30 PM »
RC1 is available for download:

http://download.wind...632efa29a23f4cc0.exe
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 10:50 PM »
from CyberNet News: Download Windows XP SP3 (RC1) from Microsoft

cybernet.png

xp-sp3-4.jpg

http://cybernetnews....-rc1-from-microsoft/

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2007, 04:06 AM »
The most realistic sounding review for SP3 I've read so far... it's done in mid-October for the first beta though.

Actually, this would be a good time to introduce a few of Vista's user interface upgrades, if only to make XP users look longingly towards the newer OS.

Alas, that's not what SP3 delivers. The new stuff isn't particularly noteworthy, and the rest has been available already through Windows Update. SP3 functions primarily as a collection of past fixes with a few security additions. SP3 is most certainly essential for anyone who hasn't applied SP2, and for those who haven't kept up with the Windows Update downloads, but if you've been on top of things, SP3 won't do much for you.
http://www.pcmag.com...,2704,2200774,00.asp

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2007, 08:46 AM »
Thanks for the link Nosh. This in particular caught my eye (along with what you highlighted above, of course)"

And what about compatibility? Devices running Windows Embedded or Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs will not be able to install SP3. Updates to those OS versions will be available later. And if you're running Windows XP Starter Edition, don't install SP3—you won't be able to log on. But Windows XP Media Center machines, of which there are thousands, raise the biggest concern. The SP3 beta stopped these PCs from receiving Media Center updates (this was certainly the case on my own PC) and often prevented connections to Media Center Extender devices, including the Extender for Xbox. These issues should be addressed by the time Microsoft releases SP3 (the company hasn't commited to a date; my guess would be early 2008), but keep checking PC Magazine for news about the problem being resolved. In particular, if you see a fully public beta download of SP3, check for compatibility before giving it a try.

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2007, 10:41 AM »
I have tried to install SP 3, at first, without success. I knew that my os needed to be repaired so I did a recovery and then installed SP 3 and had no problems,,, until I had to reboot the system. Then: blue screen and , yes, let's do another system recovery. Now after many days of rebuilding my system the way I like it(IE.: removing all the bundled software included with the system recovery) and reinstalling my favorites software and cleaning up, I will wait for SP3 to be available normally.
I do not know what happened save that the computer would not boot. Still, I did need to do a recovery, so no harm done.
Jacques.
JR

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2007, 10:54 AM »
Ran SP3 RC1 on a test workstation here.  It broke eFax messenger pretty badly.  Uninstalling/reinstalling the eFax client fixed it. 

Note that while it's designated a test workstation, it's a near clone of my primary machine with all the same software, service packs, and development stuff.  The plan is if my main PC croaks, I can keep functioning until I fix it.  The only hardware difference is that it's got a single-core CPU, only two monitors, and doesn't have the nice external RAID cage.

No other problems to report.

Stephen47

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2007, 07:37 PM »
The people over at Tech Support Guy are telling me it is illegal to download SP3. I had a networking problem not related to Sp3 but after I installed it I put it in my signature and was scolded. Here is the link if you are interested in what a couple of them have to  say: http://forums.techgu...top-issue-redux.html

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Note you can download XP SP3 RC1 directly from Microsoft's unsecured public servers.  Is that illegal?  No.  It may be ill-advised to run beta software, but criminal?  Hardly.

Here's the deal...

It's available to anyone who is interested in trying out the new build.  MSDN and TechNet subscribers have it now (about 15,000 subscriptions exist, some belonging to IT organizations of thousands of users, each of whom may have it now if they want) and the wraps are about to come off the public beta.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1038

rc1.jpg

They're not trying to stop the flow of XP SP3 RC1 downloads; in fact, they're counting on it.  They want everyone in the world to be their product test dummies and uncover the problems; and if there are problems they can paste a big concerned smile on their face and scold you with, "we told you it was a beta."

So relax, it's not illegal.  Not in the sense that any sane person cares -- not even Microsoft.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:19 PM by Ralf Maximus »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2007, 10:41 PM »
yes, it's not illegal but it comes with a warning that if it breaks anything they will have no part in it..  :huh:

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2007, 10:49 PM »
Oh..My..Gawd...Thomas, what have you done with the Ferrari?!
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2007, 09:33 PM »
I just installed this over top of the original SP3,no problems to report so far (5 Minutes after install  :D)

Standalone Update Package for Windows® XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate

Quick Details
File Name: windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe
Version: 3264
Knowledge Base (KB) Articles: KB936929 
Date Published: 12/18/2007
Language: English
Download Size: 336.1 MB

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2007, 10:12 PM »
My mind translated thatt into "Update for Windows XP SP 3 RC"; i.e. an update patch for the RC1 file available for a few weeks.

That turns out not to be the case; this *is* the same file.  The 336 MB download size should have tipped me off.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2007, 10:35 PM »
at least now it is officially available from Microsoft.. i wonder if they will "push" SP3 via automatic updates? with a filesize of 336MB, that would be some update. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2007, 10:55 PM »
I have the file but have yet to install it... Still waiting for a full-blown review.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2007, 10:57 PM »
or until the words "Release Candidate" is dropped..

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2007, 11:03 PM »
With searchlights blazing hundreds of metres into the night sky, neon blistering everywhere and a battery of digital cameras capturing every second, the most ultra-modern city on earth seems a million miles from the forbidding stone walls of the Microsoft campus in Washington.

But it was here last night in Tokyo that the world was led back – with a good dose of Redmond razzmatazz – into the realm of magic and given its first glimpse of Windows XP Service Pack 3: the update that sees the popular operating system growing up to face the dreadful truth of its destiny.

For it is in this latest – third – service pack outing of Bill Gate’s saga that Windows XP painfully begins to understand the battles with evil that lie ahead. It is an update where the balance of narrative tips from action to intrigue and there are some that will find that tedious.

It got 3 out of 5 stars in that review, so somebody likes it.