topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Config always says Tray prog isn't running.  (Read 55358 times)

JesusInsideMe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Config always says Tray prog isn't running.
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 05:11 PM »
Hello, I just want to place here that I had the exactly same problem than "BlackAle", y all the ones that "ken winston caine" had  :(   Thanks to JaRC for the super important code he placed here:    :up:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
and in all likelyhood you wil find an item named "Disable Performance Counters" in the right hand pane, set it to 0 and everything should be right as rain the next time you boot.

Thanks to this info. PT is working properly now, and making my PC run faster than ever.
Very Good job Mouser !   :Thmbsup:
God bless all of you, bye  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 06:49 PM »
great :)
Thanks for that reminder that i need to add a check for that from within the program so that i can warn people when it's not set.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Thanks to JaRC for the super important code he placed here:    :up:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
and in all likelyhood you wil find an item named "Disable Performance Counters" in the right hand pane, set it to 0 and everything should be right as rain the next time you boot.

This message from several years ago proved invaluable to me just now.  I had tried Process Tamer briefly in the past, but yesterday I decided to use it again.  To my dismay, I couldn't get it to run.  Same story as so many other messages in this thread, but I wasn't using any of the programs mentioned.  However, when I came upon JesusInsideMe's message, I went into RegEdit and gave it a try.  Bingo!  All is now well. 

I now realize why PT had worked when I tried it earlier but hadn't this time until I made the registry change.  A week or so ago I tried JV16PowerTools' settings to speed up my computer.  Sure enough, one of them had to do with disabling performance counters.  None of what I did made much difference in my computer's speed, and I simply forgot about it.  But I'm almost certain that that was what blocked PT from running.

Anyway, many thanks to JarC and JesusInsideMe (who called my attention to JarC's message).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43 AM »
now the right thing for me to do is check this registry setting and warn the user if its disabled.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03 PM »
now the right thing for me to do is check this registry setting and warn the user if its disabled.
Good idea, but you already get good points for including a link to this thread in the Help file!  That's how I found it.

Angsious

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I'm New To This Site And I Too Had Trouble With "Process Tamer" Not Running And It's Oct.2012,I Went To The Registry And Made The Change Found In This Forum-And It Worked!! Thanks Guys! :Thmbsup: