topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Enabled but not running...  (Read 12580 times)

greybuffalo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Enabled but not running...
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:00 AM »
I have read earlier posts regarding this topic.
I have been using "Process Tamer for quite a few months now,suddenly,it says its not running but enabled ?
I did the test and it says its eating CPU's?
I think its been "Not running",maybe since I downloaded the updates for I tunes?I could be wrong though,as I saw someone else mention that?
So my question,if the test says its working,and its enabled,but says its not running?does that mean its actually running? :tellme:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Enabled but not running...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:07 PM »
what operating system are you using?

if you see it in the system tray then it is running.
if the configuration dialog says its not running that just means it can't figure out that it's running, which is a sign that something is asmiss but not nesc. that process tamer itself is not working.

the real test though is to see if Process Tamer can change the priorities of any programs.  Try manually changing a process priority from the options, or run the test program, and wait a few seconds and see if PT pops up a balloon and tells you it is being tamed.

it seems one main cause of PT to stop working is when people manually disable the system service which lets it examine the running processes.  if you search in this section you will find some posts about people who did this inadvertently by running a tweaking program like nlite.

greybuffalo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:14 AM »
No,I did not ever change anything,I did try reinstalling.
Like I said I did try the test and it said it was eating,but I have just manually changed the priorities and no balloon has appeared.
I have the tamer in my start menu,should it be in there?maybe that's the problem?
Im running XP

msgtb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 02:01 PM »
 :-\I download process tamer and have the same problem.  I am running win xp and have checked the window performance and it is set to automatic. It seems that a lot of people are having the same problem. It seems at least six months old is there any chance of getting the program fixed. It seems like it would be useful to people like myself using an old slow laptop. I hope it can be fixed please send me an email if there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks

Dave

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:14 PM »
it seems one main cause of PT to stop working is when people manually disable the system service which lets it examine the running processes.  if you search in this section you will find some posts about people who did this inadvertently by running a tweaking program like nlite.

What's the service name, please?  Yes I am lazy and don't want to grub around the zillions of PT messages looking.  :-)

Also, it should be possible to build a check into PT so that if the required service is not running the user is notified.  WMI offers an interface to checking/starting/stopping services.

FWIW, I lurve my 'Tamer.  It lives permanantly in my tray since I discovered it.  AND it's the reason I logged in here the first time.  So everyone who rues the day I started posting, it's mouser's fault.  :-)

treefrog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:10 AM »
:-\I download process tamer and have the same problem.  I am running win xp and have checked the window performance and it is set to automatic. It seems that a lot of people are having the same problem. It seems at least six months old is there any chance of getting the program fixed. It seems like it would be useful to people like myself using an old slow laptop. I hope it can be fixed please send me an email if there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks
Dave

I have the same problem and all the same symptoms of the other posts in this thread.  (Process Tamers says it's running and is shown in green in the Config Screen but it is not running, no popupsm, no activity, no nothing.

I have had this problem ever since I can remember. I am using v2.09.01 on WInXP/SP2.

I just guessed some service was not started but I can't see which one it would be (if any).

:'(

Thank you for any help.
TreeFrog

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:55 AM »
Do you see the process tamer icon in the tray? And the configuration program says it's running?
Try this:
  • go to options and change Cpu Usage Trigger High to 10%
  • and see what happens when you run the test cpueating program that eats up a lot of cpu.
  • make sure you look at icon for it to change or hover your mouse over the icon to see if its taming the application just in case you have balloon tips turned off.