topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: a Self-Contained Archive  (Read 18680 times)

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: a Self-Contained Archive
« on: November 14, 2007, 03:22 AM »
Good Day.. i finally located this topic.. i don't wanna get redundant so i just put this here and the link which it came from first. please guide me in anything.

Contain-r: SFX in GUI, a portable compressed secured self-content file archive

from my late post:
https://www.donation...95.msg85522#msg85522

suggest a title if you hate the name i provided  ;D (click to open attachments to explain further details)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:29 AM by psionics »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Please edit your post and create a new post for the second IDEA. It's kinda hard to keep track/manage if there's more than one idea in a post.
 8)

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: a Self-Contained Archive
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:09 PM »
In case of referral, this is not what im looking for:

Portable Vault
http://www.migosoftw.../portable-vault.html

MiniTrezor
http://www.philosoft.../en/miniTrezor1.html

klonsoft LockDisk 3.0
http://www.klonsoft.com/lockdisk/  -freeware

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 02:04 PM by psionics »

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 02:02 PM »
These are not what im looking for..  :(

* I'm hoping to someone who can code a portable .exe file-container with built-in internal compressor/uncompressor

* something like an ISO or IMAGE container "copy /b" in a compressor/uncompressor application

Off:  :-\ i'm thinking about a script when opening a folder, will automatically open an application inside it.. (so i can just change the icon of the folder unlike those portable-converted appz)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 02:25 PM by psionics »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 04:31 PM »
Why not use an encrypted .RAR file?
- carpe noctem

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 04:53 PM »
im looking for someone who can code this apps. or similar

"a Self Package (SFX) ~ .exe with explorer-like GUI"

* Drag n Drop files inside that box (there is only two way)
* updates(overwrites) the file when there's duplicate
* able to delete the file inside by pressing del key or rightclick delete
* independent, which mean, the extracting and compressing feature in built-in.. like a shell, a single file, self-contained, portable
* wish list: encryption function and password (or else, will just act like the default XP zip folders)

that would be great..

I quoted from the other thread, to have the info visible here as well as available.

How about a "cloning" option: New archive -> will pop up a dialogue for the name of a new, empty archive and create for example NewFancySelfContainer.exe, which will be some kind of build-in "distributor", as you don't want an installer for it. In case the "mother" has already been patched with a different icon, then maybe allow the default icon to be recreated, as that would ensure to have all "newborns" identical.

Sorry for my terminology.

Would you pay high attention to the efficacy of the build-in compressor, or is plain zip OK? I am wondering also about the use of temporary files on the target computer, in case you need to add or remove large multimedia files.
The problem with these is that a lot of them are "prepacked" and take a long time to re-pack.

Would you consider to have this app build as a container-only (compression level set to store only), with strong encription of the files within, or is that no good for your needs?

Greetings
Wolf
Schön wär's, wenn's schön wär!

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:17 AM »
Thanks for the replies.. :)

re f0dder:
encrypted rar(winrar) is good, also the window's compressed folders also works as what i am requesting. but the technology of independent, self-container and self-apps idea is not just focused to clean windows registry(portable apps),  unlike winrar and zips:

1. always ready for usage(in-case for clients presentation/distribution or old people, it wouldn't be a hassle anymore, as technology is used to automate things)
2. security of footprints
3. the idea itself (the era of self-container and self-apps to other types of apps)

re wolf.b:
* 1st quote:
   i understand your terminology, using a "mother" to take control of compression/uncompress. this would be great also. but it is more easy for the users if it is built-in to the image/app file

* 2nd quote:
   any built-n compressor will do.
The problem with these is that a lot of them are "prepacked" and take a long time to re-pack
the case is, whats the difference would be on other compressor apps? maybe, using the technology of winrar? (set to a temporary folder but with footprints) or using an ISO/Image technology?(set to a virtual memory) then, when hitting the close button, it will be re-compressed again? ~ for me, any of those would be great as long as implemented.

If they were containers only, w/o the apps build-in, it will act like the other portable compression tools (z7,Rar,Zips~etc). which is not different from them and I'll just use them aswell.

Research UPDATE:
my long research, i found this, help me with it if its ok:
from 
http://www.geocities...asablanca2000in/msp/

attched file: APPZIP.zip
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:20 AM by psionics »

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:59 PM »
but it is more easy for the users if it is built-in to the image/app file

What image/app file are you referring to? I talk about the standalone EXE that you requested. I have taken the liberty to modify your lovely picture so you can see what I mean.

SFX.in.GUI.pngIDEA: a Self-Contained Archive

I also would like to adjust my terminology like such (took me a while to find the correct english word):
"Mother" is the standalone EXE in the picture above. Child is the "newborn" standalone EXE that you can name, that is empty, and that has the default icon recreated. This process is not cloning but budding. Sorry for not including a picture of SpongeBob budding, I failed to find one.

Greetings
Wolf

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:12 PM by wolf.b »

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:44 PM »
moew!  :huh: oh yeah, a "new" button is cool also..  :Thmbsup: sorry about the mothership thing.. and spongebob is cool

about the image/app ~ the "image" is the container (e.g. iso image, cd image, diskette image, etc), I should've said "container", sorry..  :-[
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:57 PM by psionics »

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 06:26 PM »
There is no need to be sorry, I just was not sure if we talk about the same thing. :)

image files
I am not trying to patronise, or to correct you, but I think that most people will understand the term "image" (eg ISO image, CD image, diskette image) like this: It is a file that represents an exact copy of the entire filesystem on the CD/floppy. There are also hard disk images possible. The image file can also be compressed, eg Ghost Images, WinImage files (*.imz). But this is not written in stone.

I think now that we are indeed talking about the same thing: A single standalone EXE with the possibilities that you mentioned. And a build-in "budding/cloning" option, so you would not have to copy an existing instance (which might be BIG), and then delete all the files from inside to get a new/empty archive (single standalone EXE).

I don't want to get your hopes up, but I regard your idea as a very interesting one. I will try and see what I can do. Just so you know what to expect, I'm not the fastest coder in the west, that title is definitely taken. For me it will be a challenging project that I use to teach myself some advanced aspects in programming. Maybe/hopefully a true programmer will step in and deliver a solution before I get to write as much as a GUI for this. My first attempt will be to create such an application, without encryption or compression, so it is a waste of space (you can have that by creating an normal folder). Other than that, it could serve as a bad example for writing code, or we could show it to a real programmer and ask for directions how to implement zip compression (with encryption).

Actually "spawning" might be a better alternative to call the process of creating a new/empty archive.

Greetings
Wolf

wolf.b

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 07:24 PM »
Please make an effort to try to find existing programs that do what you are asking for before you post an Idea request; this section is not meant to be a coding excercise, so if the program already exists (as freeware), then there is little point having someone here re-implement it.

I have just found the above here
- DC forums
-- Software
--- Coding Snacks
---- Post New Requests Here
----- Topic: When writing code means you've failed.. READ IN
and would like to ask for guidance, please.

I believe that psionics has been directed to come here, and I am offering a helping hand, but it will be a coding exercise. The functionality of the code is of limited use (even if it is working as laid out), as it only provides a customised front-end to an existing application. Where shall we go with this?

Greetings
Wolf

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 04:32 AM »
thanks  :)

I code a bit, but not yet this advanced.. so wish us luck

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 02:13 PM »
ok.. seems this one http://www.aw-soft.com/webexe.html is able to make a exe with set of files inside that is loaded in the memory.
* this idea is very simple ~ a single file portable application that can put a file inside it. (and out)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I think thinstall is also along the lines you are thinking.

"Thinstall is a robust, self-contained application virtualization solution that requires no client-side agents or supporting server infrastructure. Thinstall’s “clean” architecture makes it suitable to a wide range of deployment scenarios, including environments in which traditional agent-based products would be inappropriate"

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 02:29 PM »
yes thats it(almost).. but it's the same with the one i attached here. i need a free version and is able to extract and add items to it's container exe. everytime.  :) thanks for the reply

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 05:35 PM »
ok.. i thought MS briefcase will solve everything.. but it appears to be just a folder when in dos mode..

UPDATES October 2012:

this is done in this topic but not exact
http://www.autohotke...iewtopic.php?t=69372
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:39 AM by psionics »