topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request  (Read 5581 times)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature Request
« on: September 30, 2005, 07:58 AM »
I'm in the process of doing a bunch of copy/pasting from the internet into my hierarchical-tree-note program of choice (Keynote ;) ) and I was wondering if you could make the text pane more editor-like.  Currently you can do a fair amount of text editing in CHS's window, but when you bring in portions of webpages from the internet, they dont copy well and you have to go back through and change the formating.  I know, you can do this in the app you are pasting to, but CHS already has some cool batch features like removing linebreaks, whitespace, extra characters, etc.  It seems kind of silly to use two different apps to collect data.  In particular, the editing window graphic bug gets annoying (the one I mentioned earlier that caused garbled text after scrolling or heavy editing). 

I know, I know, this points in favor of making CHS into a full fledged note program.... and I agree.  And, since I've been looking around at the relative lack of progress on these apps maybe another one wouldnt be a bad idea!  There are many out there but they all lack at least one major component.  (Major component being, but not limited to, the following: intermediate text editing, table support, picture support, and perhaps the most often overlooked, full-featured import/export (if I can put the data in, I will more than likely want to pull it out again!). 

So, just making this request for whenever you ramp up development on CHS again!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 08:16 AM »
might help for us to put together a priority ordered list of features for CHS so i can get back to work on it and do an update in the next couple of weeks.

from my own use (and i must admit i only use it for plaintext), there are 2 things that simply must get added asap:
1) right now it will auto move from New clips to Old clips group at user defined interval, but never moves stuff out of Old group, which can lead to huge #s of clips in Old group, which slows everything down and bloats the database.  so i am going to add an automatic move from Old to Recycle bin at user-defined interval.  this should speed up searching and reduce database size.
2) there is a bug when moving large numbers of clips that causes an error - this needs to be fixed.

the other things that seem like fairly high priority are:
1) paste menu with hotkey, to make it easy to paste clips.
2) application-specific customization, so you can say which apps to capture from, and in which format (plaintext, richtext)
3) capture of richtext/graphics, not just plaintext, but ability to choose how to export/copy it so its still easy to grab plaintext.
4) fixing the editor bugs you've identified (and adding support for editng text formatting).

what else have i forgotten?

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 08:49 AM »
I would agree with your 6 priorities... they are the reasons I am not using CHS full time.  I would also add basic format support since you are intending to capture RTF data (both in the batch modify tool and the editor window).  But, beyond that, those are the fundamentals.

Just a thought, nothing that needs to be determined just yet, but if you are eventually going to make CHS more database generic, you may want to start making the CHS backend less clipboard specific.  This is based on my assumption that CHS is specific to clipboard database things (which is based on how I code things... start specific, then try to kluge in more generic features later!).  It may be helpful to start breaking those links now while focusing on only one type of database.  This would help troubleshooting.  Like I said, just a thought and probably more involved than I realize!!

Kevin