topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SMIRF Chess Game. User won and bounced?  (Read 3717 times)

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SMIRF Chess Game. User won and bounced?
« on: August 20, 2007, 11:58 PM »
Am I correct in that the user "Smirf" stuck around long enough to win Borland Studio and then removed all traces of his chess program?

*If* that is the case, that is one of the primary reasons why I wouldn't allow someone to compete without archiving *all* of their software and making it available.  That seems like a fair stipulation.

So, I haven't missed it anywhere have I?
I code.  Therefore I am.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:20 AM by fowmow »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SMIRF Chess Game. User won and bounced?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 12:31 AM »
The version for Windows is a dead project. He is in the process of making a Mac version, though.

But the last Windows version is still available if you email this guy and ask him for it.

As far as keeping all their stuff and forcing it to remain available, the rights to the projects are owned by their creators. At no point did any of the developers transfer those rights to DonationCoder. They can do what they want with those projects, including kill them and make them unavailable....it is their right.

I think it is unfortunate when it happens, but we don't have the right to force anybody to keep their work available if they don't want to.

Maybe you can send Smirf a private message expressing your interests in his application and ask him to please consider attaching the last version of it to its associated post on this forum. He seemed like a nice guy and I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask him this.

You might also be able to get in touch with him through his blog. (German language only) Or by leaving a comment on this post in particular.

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SMIRF Chess Game. User won and bounced?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:17 AM »
Thanks for the tips, app103.

And actually, I didn't mean like... against their will or anything.  I mean as part of the competition, your software must remain available to the users of this forum.  Or at least the founders of this forum.

You know, as a stipulation of winning.  Kind of like having to put $5 in a pot to win a $1,000 or other nonsensical analogy.  I am *no* good at analogies, forgive me.   ;D
I code.  Therefore I am.