I don't know if this is best described as a contest, or more of a sponsorship, but any way you slice it, we've decided to offer a reward for a programmer who can make 2 mods for the smf (simplemachines) forum system, that will let the mediawiki wiki system, and the mantis bugtracker system share smf login info.
We do not expect or want to have multiple programmers working on this at the same time - the main purpose is to find a person who wants to get this done properly, and give them a little incentive and reward.
The final result must be made open source and shared with the SMF community. We will be happy to provide web space for the programmer who writes this so that they can maintain a page on it (and for any other smf or open source mods they might want to write).
We are looking for someone who wants to implement this correctly, i.e. improve it over time and correct bugs that are found, not just do a quick and dirty job to win a prize.
This is not a horribly complicated mod, and similar mods have been written already which will provide a good starting point, however it is a bit tricky so probably only someone who is a bit comfortable working with smf mods or php/mysql already should try this.
- the aim is to use the SMF login info as the definitive login for mediawiki and mantis bugtracker logins.
- user should not ever have to log into media wiki or mantis manually if they are already logged into the forum.
- must work on existing smf accounts (i.e. not just new ones)
- should have minimal (preferably none at all), messing with the original smf database tables (certainly nothing that would make the tables incompatible with a clean install of smf or mediawiki or mantis); ie we want minimal impact and minimal potential for troubles.
- we will want to coordinate groups in smf with groups in mediawiki, so that certain member groups in smf map to member groups in wiki, with the mod checking this to keep up to date so that we don't have to manually update databases when status of a user changes.
- expect to tweak it to get it working right.
- coder should ideally have their own installation of smf, mediawiki, mantis. if its an experienced programmer who is SURE they will be implementing this we could set these things up for them in a test account, but we're not going to set up 10 such accounts just for people who are curious about attempting to code this
- Fully license copy of VmWare
- $100 cash reward
- Custom DonationCoder.com t-shirt
- Some more free software
- The thanks of tons of people on this board and othe SMF boards.
- Chance to do more such mods for more rewards.
Feel free to discuss here or email [email protected]