topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Sunday April 28, 2024, 1:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PAD Database  (Read 5642 times)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
PAD Database
« on: June 13, 2007, 09:20 PM »
I thought I would let everyone know of the PAD Database that I maintain.  The PAD Database is one of the largest, and most importantly clean, database's of PAD files.  PAD files are basically very small XML files that fully describe an application or software.  What this allows is developers to easily update information on their software and have that information propagate around the various software websites.  The PAD Database allows developers to submit their PAD files and software / shareware websites to get a copy of the complete database.

Right now I am listing over 48K PAD files and have written a fill suite of custom tools to maintain the database: from crawling to cleanup work (blacklisting, invalid PADs, unreachable files).  The database is well maintained.

So, developers make sure you are listed in the database and everyone else if you would like to see something added just drop me a line.

PAD Database:
http://paddatabase.com/

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PAD Database
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:06 AM »
Hey Chris: that's so cool!

Do you keep superceded PAD files as well? That is, can you see the release history of an application?

Another thought: will you expose this data through WebServices? There was some discussion here about the benefits of having a centralised database of Software Applications, etc, and this looks like it pretty much fits the bill.

Having the ability to Submit through a WebService would be a nice idea as well.

Thanks!!

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 11:21 AM »
PAD History is not maintained as I think it would be a bit too much to keep such a history.

Web Services is something that is an option and something I can look into as I have never done a web service from PHP before so doing it would be a good learning experience for me.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 05:45 PM »
Just updated PAD Database with 15,000 more pad files added and also started to expose my Blacklist.  Blacklisted PAD files will now be identified as such.

Good place to have your software listed as the PAD Database is picked up by software sites.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:53 PM »
Veign: apparently, the "get listed" link isn't working..

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Thanx for pointing that out.  Fixed.