topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Clipboard type programme to collect together snippets of text  (Read 5083 times)

jovejupiter

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I'm looking for a simple clipboard programme for capturing multiple items of plain text such as web site URLs and so on to a single text file.

There are lots of programmes available which extend the standard windows clipboard but all of the examples I've seen save each item to a separate clipboard.

Each time I copy a piece of text to this clipboard it should be added to the end of the list without deleting the existing contents.

Once I've added all of the items I need, I want to be able to paste the whole list to a text editor for sorting.

It doesn't necessarily have to use Ctrl-c 0r Ctrl-x to add items to the clipboard. In fact it might be better if it used other keys so that the standard cut and past functions will still work as normal

Any suggestions for existing software or a custom bit of coding would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tony

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard type programme to collect together snippets of text
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:19 AM »
I'm looking for a simple clipboard programme for capturing multiple items of plain text such as web site URLs and so on to a single text file.
[...]
Each time I copy a piece of text to this clipboard it should be added to the end of the list without deleting the existing contents.

You could try the last free version of ClipCache, 1.41, available from e.g. http://www.woundedmoon.org/ legacy Windows software links (other repositories have it as well).  It normally saves each clip separately, but once you have it running, right-click on the tray icon and select Append Text Captures.  If you want something simpler that does just what you want and no more, there was a 1994-vintage PC Magazine utility by Robert Lausevic called PasteBoard, and an unrelated 2005 one of the same name by Mike Sanders but that one seems to have escaped from my hard disk  - ah, found it online: http://fuzzbox.hyper...asteboard/index.html

You may also like to know that Horst Schaeffer's command-line utility ClipText for transferring text between files and the clipboard also has an append feature.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:30 AM by rjbull »

jovejupiter

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:36 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the information.

I downloaded PasteBoard and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers

Tony

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:50 AM »
I was worried that the demarcation lines between clips might bother you.  If so, here's a belated suggestion - try the free editor Notetab Light

Any document in the editor (as long as it is not Read-Only) can be configured to capture text that is cut or copied to the Clipboard from any Windows application. First select the document you want to use as a "paste board", then activate the "Use as Paste Board" option in the Document menu. As long as this option is active, the document will capture and append all text sent to the Clipboard. The computer will beep or play a sound each time the paste-board document captures some text.

But if you don't mind the separation lines, PasteBoard is quick and easy.