topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: mtExplorer  (Read 5099 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mtExplorer
« on: March 31, 2007, 01:59 PM »
I often don't like what I see when I look at the hordes of shortcuts in Start > Programs, in XP: its not tidy! From time to time I have tried various programs, in order to make this part of my computer nice and tidy to look at, and easy to handle. Now I belive I have found the solution: mtExplorer. I use it to handle the shortcuts in Start > Programs (in Documents & Settings), but you can of course use it to view any other set of folders on your machine.

It is a lightweight program file - doesn't install - and will open really fast, considering how many informations it must first collect. Does of course support Drag and Drop.

mtExplorer V1.1

All rights reserved. Copyright (C) 2006 Jack Ruffey.
Please send comments to jackr at mtexplorer dot com.

mtExplorer is a minimalist multi-pane file explorer. I have tried quite a number of dual-pane and tabbed file explorers, but none of them could give me 4 to 6 Explorer panes simultaneously in a single window.

So I wrote mtExplorer, which can be configured to display 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 Explorer panes at once. You can drag-and-drop files between panes easily. There are no menus, status bars or fancy toolbars to get in the way. Buttons are kept to a minimum. The right-click context menu is used to perform most operations.

mtExplorer consists simply of a small executable file. Settings are written to an INI file in the same folder as the EXE file. No installation is required. You should be able to run it from any folder, or pop it into a USB memory stick and run it on any Windows PC.

Proceed with download.

mtExplorer.pngmtExplorer
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:01 PM by Curt »

OGroeger

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: mtExplorer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:59 AM »
One major drawback of mtexplorer is that it doesn't support deep directory structures: Saving of the paths doesn't work when the path includes more than 2 subdirectories.
Example: The path c:\Temp\rcptimetracker can be saved successfully, but the path C:\Temp\rcptimetracker\com fails meaning that the Path is reset to Desktop upon the next application start.

I emailed jack about this last september including a suggestion to support drag and drop into the adress bar and he promised to consider this in a future version.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: mtExplorer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:14 AM »
One major drawback of mtexplorer is that it doesn't support deep directory structures: ....

... and he promised to consider this in a future version.

You're right; and I was giving praise too soon.

Will there be any update? Only Jack and God knows, but I think I'll write him too (Jack, that is), and encourage him to write. I like this little app.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 04:16 AM by Curt »