topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Prevent window activation on right click in taskbar  (Read 5565 times)

springro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Prevent window activation on right click in taskbar
« on: February 21, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Maybe I'm missing an option that can be set, but it would be nice to be able to select "Close" from the right click menu of a running programs task bar without having the program maximize.

If I know I want to close it, I don't want to deal with having it show up.

Biggest two times this comes up is when a ton of windows have opened by accident/mistake or when you're accessin your computer remotely.  Lot lighter on the bandwidth if you don't need to deal with the window becoming visible.

Thanks,
Rob

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Prevent window activation on right click in taskbar
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:04 PM »
if you're using WinXP, press & hold the Ctrl button while right-clicking.. then you can choose 'Close group'.

ws-sshot-2 002.png
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:06 PM by lanux128 »

springro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 07:19 AM »
Thanks for the feedback -- but this seems to cause the second button to be selected, creating a group of the first and second (or more) buttons.  If you try to close group then you'll get the original activated application closed as the same time as the others because it is part of the group.

So, it looks like to do this that you need activate at least one window you want to close before you can use the CTRL button to get the close group option.  So it isn't helpful unless you're closing multiple windows.

Unless this is particular to my system, maybe Ultramon or something else is interferring with the normal functioning.

-Rob

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 08:17 PM »
If you try to close group then you'll get the original activated application closed as the same time as the others because it is part of the group.
you're not alone, springro.. the same thing happens on my system.. i'll let you know if i find out something.. :)