topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Watch for specific drives, at intervals, after a certain hour  (Read 4917 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a couple of external drives which might be on or off, depending what I'm doing.

I really don't want them running all the time, especially overnight, but I can easily forget about them.

At the moment I have a few lines of AHK to tell me if they're on during shutdown.

What I'd like, for the (majority of) times when I don't shut down, is this:

Something that can run after a time I choose (let's say 22:00) and look periodically (let's say every 30 minutes) to see if specific drive letters are in use (let's say Q: and X:).

If one or both of the drives are on, I'd like to be reminded about it/them.  Then, when I wander off for the night, I won't leave them running.                                                                               

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Watch for specific drives, at intervals, after a certain hour
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 11:28 PM »
What about calling that same script via window's own task scheduler (first set up a daily task, then go back and edit it to go into "Advanced" and enable repeat task every ... 30 minutes).

You can also use System Scheduler (free and pro versions) (www.splinterware.com)  if window's own task scheduler is flaky running on your system.

patrick

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Watch for specific drives, at intervals, after a certain hour
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 07:37 AM »
What about calling that same script via window's own task scheduler (first set up a daily task, then go back and edit it to go into "Advanced" and enable repeat task every ... 30 minutes).

You can also use System Scheduler (free and pro versions) (www.splinterware.com)  if window's own task scheduler is flaky running on your system.

patrick
Patrick, thanks for the reply. To use the built-in scheduler occurred to me, too, not long after posting (act first, think later). Having set up a task, I managed to remember to turn off the drives last night :Thmbsup:

I appreciate your response, and the link to System Scheduler.