topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: If you have to use Vista buy the upgrade version ... a true WindowsSecret  (Read 11363 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apparently there is a workaround to install the upgrade versions of Vista to a clean hard disc without installing XP or 2000 first - and it works whether you have a previous version of windows or not.

It goes like this ...

1) Boot from the Vista DVD and install it to a fresh partition. However do not enter the serial number and uncheck activate online during the installation. You have to answer various prompts about installing without a serial code but that's OK just push on.

2) When Vista is installed at the desktop run the setup again (eject and reinsert the disc) and use the upgrade option. This runs the installer again - this time enter the serial code etc.

Presto Vista upgrade installed without reference to any previous versions in the form of installed windows or proof media.

This came from the Windows Secrets newsletter which has the whole process in more detail and some discussion about the ethics. Basically the argument goes that you are not using the installer to do anything it wasn't designed for and MS must know this method is available to all users and would be widely publicised.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sounds like Carol is getting ready to run vista  :D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ha ha ... not a chance - I just thought others may find it useful.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
of course, i believe you (thousands wouldn't).

Alk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I learnt about this also from:
http://news.com.com/...-1016_3-6156968.html
Activation trouble
For those who are making the move to Vista, one trouble area has been properly activating the new operating system. Cartoonist Mike Cope spent hours trying to get his Windows 2000-based system to move to Vista. Initially, he tried to upgrade from within Windows 2000, but that didn't work. Next, the Stoney Creek, Ontario, resident tried to do a clean installation of the software on his PC. The software installed fine, but when time came to do the product activation--a mandatory step with Vista--the process failed.

After reinstalling Windows 2000 and trying a few more things, Cope eventually found a loophole that solved his problem--installing Vista without activating it and then installing it a second time and going through the activation process. Because the software assumed he was moving from Vista to Vista, it activated successfully.

Still, Cope wasn't happy with the more than six hours he spent getting to Vista. "I should've bought a Mac," Cope said.

In theory, that method would let almost anyone install Vista using the upgrade disc rather than a full copy of the OS. However, Microsoft is not condoning such efforts.

"Microsoft is aware of that workaround and encourages all customers to follow the official guidelines for upgrading to Windows Vista," a Microsoft representative said in an e-mail. "People without a licensed copy of XP or earlier version of Windows that use this workaround are violating the terms of use agreed to when they purchased the upgrade version of Windows Vista."

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I guess it's a fair enough way to install it if you actually do have a 2k/XP/whatever. The requirement to install the other OS first is pretty ludicrous, makes the process even more time-wasting than it already is.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That is why when I received my free copy of Windows Vista Business edition, I called microsoft's anytime upgrade line and asked PRIOR TO purchasing if I could do a clean install with the upgrade I purchase through the anytime upgrade. They tell me "Yes, it wont be an issue". I even verified to them what a clean install was. I told them that I meant on a fresh hard disk, without installing another OS first, they said "Yes sir, no problem". Well, I purchase the upgrade to ultimate and guess what, WRONG.

So what did I do? I took names of who I talked to and called back, spent 2 hours on the phone, talked to 6 diff people, and now I have a full working key to Windows Vista Ultimate. All I can say to this is, watch out companies, what you tell your customers, they will hold you to it. Just like the guy who was told by verizon that his data rate was 2 hundredth's of a cent and not 2 hundredths of a dollar. Be careful what you say!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So what did I do? I took names of who I talked to and called back, spent 2 hours on the phone, talked to 6 diff people, and now I have a full working key to Windows Vista Ultimate.
Good for you, well done! 
Mostly I don't have time to pursue issues like this, and it's people like me who let manufacturers skate. You do us all a favour when you follow up on this kind of nonsense.
When I first retired I got into an issue with one major supplier. At that time I was able to point out several satisfying facts.
  • A) That I had all the time in the world.
  • B) That I can be a bloody-minded S.O.B.
  • C) That I was looking for a project.
  • D) That they were it.
  • E) That before too long they'd do just about anything to be rid of me.
Happily, I prevailed. :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When I first retired I got into an issue with one major supplier. At that time I was able to point out several satisfying facts.
    (..)
Happily, I prevailed. :)
-cranioscopical (February 09, 2007, 07:56 AM)
;D ;D ;D ;D

It's thanks to you guys that we still have companies that think about custumers, if not for any other reason, at least be it for being afraid of custumers like you ;)  :Thmbsup:

chrismar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi; Donationcoder rules!

Actually the upgrade clean install is not a "Windows Secret" at all.

The Vista site is very clear on most upgrade issues. If you research a bit  (highly suggested) you will see that Home Premium is not accessible for an in-place upgrade from XP Pro. The key word is in-place. XP pro only upgrades in-place to Ultimate and Business Editions as upgrades traditionally ascend in versions. (Win2000 to XP Pro not Home) Home Premium cannot do an in place upgrade over XP Pro. You can qualify for the upgrade pricing and use VHP with XP Pro installed as the qualifying OS, and do a custom install. It will not migrate programs or data. To use an upgrade edition does not mean that upgrade edition can do an in place upgrade. There is a very good tool available which will assist with complete XP to Vista transfers.

Windowshelp.microsoft.com, Vista Community has an aggressive and well informed team of experts who assist peers with as much pertinent advice as possible as long as the inquiries are reasonably well-thought-out but rants or antagonistic POVs are unwelcome. There are alot of questions about the remote desk client and host usage but that's another topic rt?

Chris

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
All I can say to this is, watch out companies, what you tell your customers, they will hold you to it. Just like the guy who was told by verizon that his data rate was 2 hundredth's of a cent and not 2 hundredths of a dollar. Be careful what you say!

Completely off topic, but when I called in to order Cable internet, the lady told me I would be getting 1.5 MegaBYTES per second speeds. I knew this was wrong so I asked her, "is that megabytes or megabits?" Her answer was somewhat surprising: "It's really megabits but I just say megabytes."

That might sound like an evil, misleading ploy, but in truth I was under the impression that she just didn't know the difference. Come to think of it, I should have let her know that she was telling me my speeds would be up to 8 times as fast as they really were. . .

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sounds like Carol is getting ready to run vista  :D
Ha ha ... not a chance - (...)

-------

Agnitum Directions, April 26' - 2007: Vista migration survey

"(...) The outcome of the survey was quite surprising to us. It turned out that migrating to the new operating system (Vista) is more a question of whether, than when. Here are the figures:"

When do you plan to switch to Windows Vista?

September 2006:

• I have no plans to change to Vista 31,03%
  • Within 6 months of release 16,16%
  • As soon as it’s available 15,52%
  • After release of Vista Service Pack 1 with major bug fixes 13,58%
  • More than 12 months after release 12,07%
  • Within 12 months of release 11,64%

March 2007:

• I have no plans to change to Vista 69,25%
  • In a year 10,88%
  • In a month 10,18%
  • In 6 months 4,90%
  • In 3 months 4,79%

Judge for yourself what you think the trend is.
-Agnitum survey