topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: An "Alt+Tab"-type clipboard utility  (Read 7996 times)

lls

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: An "Alt+Tab"-type clipboard utility
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:53 AM »
CoMiKe wrote at another forum:

What about a clipboard manager where Ctrl+V works in a similar way to the Alt+Tab dialog?
I mean, so that Ctrl+V shows a dialog that remains visible while the Ctrl key is down, and every "V" keypress cycles down a list (or stack) of previously copied elements. And the element is pasted when the Ctrl key is released.

Since this is exactly what I've been looking for without effect for a long time, I took the liberty to post it here on his and my behalf.  :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: An "Alt+Tab"-type clipboard utility
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Well...It sounds like you need a clipboard manager (make a search here in the forum, there are several of them).
One example is mouser's Clipboard Help and Spell.
This kind of applications are quite complete, but usually they use another different key to cycle through the clips. (on chs, you can use ctrl-alt-q which will show you the latest clipboard contents).

A more similar solution for your problem is skrommel's ClipStep, which does almost exactly what you asked for, except that it only shows the currently selected clip and not all of them at the same time. Give it a try, if you'd like it to have other features, you can always post and ask skrommel if he can add it! ;)

lls

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My blog
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Thank you very much. It seems ClipStep is almost what I was looking for. Let's wait for CoMiKe's opinion.  :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:50 AM »
As always... Glad to be of assistance ;)
Don't forget to post if you have new ideas for it!

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:21 AM »
 :) I've been planning to add this option to ClipStep now that AHK can handle images better, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Skrommel

JohnTurnbull

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 07:00 AM »
Hmm. That's an awful lot of Tab presses if the clip you want is way down the list!

Why don't you have a look at the M8 multi clipboard. The way that works is that you choose a function key to activate it. When you use the function key, it pops up and all the clips have a letter (A to Z) next to them. Type the letter next to the clip you want and it pastes in.

They have a free version does up to 25 clips 0r you can fork out $30 for the big one.

http://m8software.com

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 07:48 AM »
JohnTurnbull: since you were the one who made this post, i suppose you're somehow associated with Spartan multi clipboard. If that's the case, you should make that noted in your posts.

PS: I'm not saying you can't post about it, or that i don't think that software would or would not be right for this situation. I'm just asking you to obey the forum's rules.