topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for a freeware ipod utility app  (Read 5889 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for a freeware ipod utility app
« on: December 25, 2006, 01:25 PM »
My daughter received an ipod for Giftmas that was preloaded with 6 gigs of music.

We would like to be able to copy this music to her hard drive so she won't lose it.

Does anybody know of a freeware utility that will copy these files to a Windows PC?  :tellme:

I found a few that were free, but they were for Mac only, not Windows.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for a freeware ipod utility app
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 01:36 PM »
The iPod can be used as a regular USB drive, so you can copy the music to you hard drive through a file manager. The manual should tell you how to let the iPod be accessed as a USB drive.

a free iTunes alternative is Yamipod: www.yamipod.com (down at time of writing)

I also recommend the free Rockbox firmware for iPods and other portable players. Check it out at www.rockbox.org
One advantage with rockbox is that it's much easier to organize the music on the player, since everything can be stored in proper directories and not screwed up dirs like the regular firmware does.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 01:43 PM »
The iPod can be used as a regular USB drive, so you can copy the music to you hard drive through a file manager. The manual should tell you how to let the iPod be accessed as a USB drive.

I forgot to mention this ipod didn't come with a manual. (it's used, not new)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 02:08 PM »
located a manual online for it...

SNAG-0146.pngLooking for a freeware ipod utility app

So if the songs were transferred to it through itunes, they can't be transferred to hard drive through Explorer because they will not show up as being there.

So I still need a utility to transfer them from the ipod to hard drive.  :huh:

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Yamipod oughta do it for you even if the music is transferred through iTunes. While the main Yamipod site is down, go here: http://www.snapfiles...com/get/yamipod.html

I don't recall there being a problem seeing the files in a file manager even when I was using iTunes, but I may be wrong. The problem was that when transferring with iTunes the files were given crazy names and put in folders F01-F99 or something. Rockbox solved it  :-*

But you should give Yamipod a try. It's free and the best iPod manager I've tried.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 04:27 PM »
I don't recall there being a problem seeing the files in a file manager even when I was using iTunes, but I may be wrong. The problem was that when transferring with iTunes the files were given crazy names and put in folders F01-F99 or something.
Now I remember: There are some hidden folders when you view the iPod in explorer. Make explorer display hidden files/folders and there should be a folder called iPod_control (IIRC) and within it a folder named Music and voila: The crazy F01-99 folders :) The files are in those. As I said, the files too have been given strange names, so what you need is a mp3tagger of some sort (I recommend the free Mp3tag (google it... sorry.) that can rename files from tags, cause the tags are still OK in the files.

Hope that helps, and sorry about any bad spelling or explanation, I'm a bit tired and my daughter is crying... GTG ;)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 11:55 PM »
Thank you very much.

I will let you know how it all turns out.