topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Understanding Burnout - The Last Part of a 3-Part Essay  (Read 10965 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Understanding Burnout - The Last Part of a 3-Part Essay
« on: December 18, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Here is a very informative, lengthy essay on avoiding Burnout exhaustion. Read up on it - the test is tomorrow at ... (just kidding!) KR

Real leadership isn't an instant activity any more than a healthy diet is a hamburger, fries and a large soda...How to Get Out of the Hole You’ve Dug Yourself...
Quick Summary: This is the third and final part of a three-part posting on burnout. Part 1 was posted last Thursday. Part 2 appeared on Friday. Today’s segment looks at ways of coping with potential or actual burnout, wherever you may be on the burnout curve, or (better still) preventing the problem occurring at all.
It’s worth repeating the image of the “Burnout Curve” that went with the first segment of this posting. It’s a downward slide into misery, depression, and eventual collapse. Depression is never something to be taken lightly, since it can be a serious medical condition, so I’ve marked a point on this chart suggesting that when things have gone from bad to worse, and then even further down the slope, you should seek competent medical advice and support. Don’t try self-diagnosis or treatment of depression. People end up as suicides that way.

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Understanding Burnout - The Last Part of a 3-Part Essay
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:41 AM »
interesting. this burnout scenario is what i've considered 'normality' for as far back as i can remember. well, only for about 6 months in every year that passes. time to seek help - hmmm, maybe next year. hark, hark, i hear the procrastination bell ringing somewhere afar.