topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Separate "Active" Window for a script?  (Read 4481 times)

springro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Separate "Active" Window for a script?
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:31 PM »

Ok, this might be crazy, so here's the short version.

How to setup a script to run in a window - primarily IE.  But, while it's running you can continue to use the computer, without interferring with what's happening in the scripting program.

Maybe the virtual desktop is a good example, where you could put the "automatic" program on the background desktop.

Is this at all feasible, other than going to a virtual machine setup?

-Rob

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Separate "Active" Window for a script?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 05:18 PM »
 :) I guess I could make a program to watch the user's action and only automate when inactive, but XP actually has this option built in, it's called Remote Desktop. However, Microsoft has limited it to allow only 1 connection, including your normal login, but a simple patch should make it all work again.

Warning! Use the following tip at your own risk! On my XP Pro Norwegian it disabled the Fast User Switching. It probably is a violation of your license aggreement, too. Please read the instructions, and make backups of termsrv.dll, winlogon.exe and mstscax.dll so you can restore your system!

Do a web search for
Spoiler
TermSrvNoRestrPatch-1-2

Download, run and reboot, and you can connect to you own computer as many times as you like! Just don't minimize the Remote Desktop windows, or your scripts will pause.

I could write a more complete tutorial for this, but it's kind of illegal, and I wouldn't want to risk shutting down the forum. What do you think, mouser?

Skrommel

springro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Separate "Active" Window for a script?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:50 AM »

I'll gives this a try, but the potential for computer problems sounds like it might be an issue.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see the legality issue here.   :-\

It seems like if there was any issue, it would be allowing multiple unique users log into your computer - not doing it yourself.
It's a little like being told you were limited to how many programs could run on your computer at one time (which maybe Microsoft has done in one of their great EULA's!)

Rob