topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: screen saver that runs 24/7 regardless of user privileges?  (Read 9000 times)

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
Hello all.

I work for a wholesale giant here in TX.
I've recently moved to another department, Major Sales (TVs, computers, electronics, etc).
Not really a promotion, just something more along my likes and interests vs. cashiering :)

So, on my first day, my Supervisor asks me to config all the windows machines to run a screen saver 24/7, activation should be after 1 minute of idle time. Using the admin account, I can set the Power Options Properties to NEVER turn off the monitor, but we can't leave the machines ON administrator, so we set up a guest account.
Problem is, guests cant make changes to NEVER turn off the monitor. Default = 20 minutes.
Some of them are XP Pro, some Home, on both desktops and notebooks.

So I hope I am posting this in the right forum.
We don't need a Windows hack.
I'd like to use a small application that would allow the screen savor to run 24/7 regardless of administrative or guest account access.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:25 PM by brotherS »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: screen saver that runs 24/7 regardless of user privileges?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 03:06 PM »
I've never learned how to do this myself, but working for a few very large corporations they've seemed to have the admin accounts set the defaults for users/guests, which then other users/guests couldn't change.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 11:44 PM »
I believe if you find the reg identifier for the user you can use the power management keys in the Desktop folder. Something like
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Desktop and there you will find the power time-out settings, etc. Where "S-1-5-18" is the registry identifier for the user you're configuring. Give it a shot...

- Oshyan

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 02:31 PM »
I could make a script that would run 24/7 and launch the screensaver after some inactive time from the user. In your current config, would it be possible for the user to terminate it's process?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 02:58 PM »
I think what you want to look at is the windows policy group stuff... try start->run gpedit.msc and look around, you might just get lucky :)
- carpe noctem

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I believe if you find the reg identifier for the user you can use the power management keys in the Desktop folder. Something like
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Desktop and there you will find the power time-out settings, etc. Where "S-1-5-18" is the registry identifier for the user you're configuring. Give it a shot...

- Oshyan
although i love tinkering with the registry, they (management) wants/needs something easy to set up, and easy to revert to default when a display model is sold.

I think what you want to look at is the windows policy group stuff... try start->run gpedit.msc and look around, you might just get lucky :)
thank you.
amazingly powerful, but only available on XP Pro, i think?

some units are running XP Home.

I could make a script that would run 24/7 and launch the screensaver after some inactive time from the user. In your current config, would it be possible for the user to terminate it's process?
you mean, if a customer/shopper walks by, machine is running screen saver, customer moves mouse / presses keys ...

we need the screen saver to stop, allowing access to the computer.

the activation time should be configurable, ie:1 minute idle, 2 minutes, etc.
just like any other screen saver, it should turn off when activity occurs.

i TOTALLY FORGOT TO MENTION: they (management) has their own screen saver that they like to use.

would this be possible?
sounds more now to me like a windows setting, instead of an application issue.
but i've not been able to find much on getting past the Power Options Properties issue on all machines.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 04:25 PM »
jammo: I thought the .msc files were on home too, but I dunno. Anyway, all the .msc files do is set some registry entries etc., so you can set up stuff on a Pro machine, regmon, find the necessary entries, and export those to a .reg file - then it's as simple as double-clicking that file on the target machines :)
- carpe noctem

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 05:50 PM »
jammo: I thought the .msc files were on home too, but I dunno. Anyway, all the .msc files do is set some registry entries etc., so you can set up stuff on a Pro machine, regmon, find the necessary entries, and export those to a .reg file - then it's as simple as double-clicking that file on the target machines :)

?hhmm?
wow. didnt know that.

researching methods now on my home machine which is XP Pro.
thanks for the tip. :)

X_____jamjammo_____

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:34 PM »
Yeah, I looked at the general policy editor but you can't set most power settings with it. ;) What you want to do then is just setup 2 .reg files, one to turn this functionality on via the registry, the other to turn it off in the same way. Then you can just double-click the relevant .reg and you're set.

- Oshyan

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 09:43 PM »
i'm not an expert on this but would something like "Drop My Rights" help?

DropMyRights is a very simple application to help users who must run as an administrator run applications in a much-safer context—that of a non-administrator. It does this by taking the current user’s token, removing various privileges and SIDs from the token, and then using that token to start another process, such as Internet Explorer or Outlook. This tool works just as well with Mozilla’s Firefox, Eudora, or Lotus Notes e-mail.