topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: On screen right keyboard mouse select  (Read 4151 times)

springro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: On screen right keyboard mouse select
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:09 AM »

IDEA: Create a quick access on-screen keyboard for right hand keys (of left hand keys for lefties).

I use my left hand on the keyboard, and my right hand on the mouse.  Any time I need to come off the mouse for the keyboard, often for just a single letter, it slows me down.  I've seen full on screen keyboards, but that's overkill for what I'm thinking about.

The application would pop-up at a hotkey.  Caps lock turn on/off would also be a good alternative.   With the hotkey, it would also be easy to  set up a mouse gesture if you something like Strokeit.

Immediately I would have thought of having a layout that looks like a std keyboard.  But second thought is that it would be less intrusive to just have a slim column list window.  First column letters, second column numbers, third column F-keys, fourth column cursor movement keys.
Then you can just click the appropriate character and have it feed to the last window/active entry field that you were in. 

I would probably still pull my hand to the keyboard to do anything more than a few letters, but often all that's needed is a single letter.

I'm having trouble deciding if this is a great idea or not, but it would be useful at times.  Thoughts?

Best,
Rob