topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT WEEK 5 ASSIGNMENT (October 1 to October 7)  (Read 13783 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
We're continuing with 2 week "segments", so week #5 (Oct 1st-8th) will be a continuation of our Mark Forster week.

So if you haven't yet read the big week #4 assignment to learn about Mark Forster's Techniques, read it here:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=5440.0

And to summarize the continuing assignent, you are to follow Forster's "Little and Often" recommendation:
  • Pick a project you have been putting off for a while and have not been able to get yourself to work on, and work on it for 5 minutes each day, until October 8th. [Update: as Mark Forster has now commented below, this should say to work on it for AT LEAST 5 minutes each day]
  • Read more about this challenge here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=5418.0

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 12:21 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
can i suggest if you succeeded in last weeks 5-minute per day thing, maybe you should try 10min per day.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
can i suggest if you succeeded in last weeks 5-minute per day thing, maybe you should try 10min per day.
ARRRGGGHH!!! Pressure!!!  :onfire:

But seriously how do you deal with self-induced stress. I find that I avoid things because it causes some stress to me (either through my reactive brain, or outside source). I am a happy-go-lucky, path of least resistance kind of person. (Basically the reactive brain is firmly in charge!).

It is the goal that maybe causes the stress!.... i think thats why the best way to do things, is like others have already said, to trick yourself :).
Another thing I've found, is that some things I can do when a friend of mine does it, and i wouldn't do it if i were alone... i.e. that friend reduces my resistance to 0!
I think that's because i enjoy being with that friend, no matter what we are doing.

It seems like this whole experiment is lacking a reward mechanism to reward the person for accomplishing the tasks.  Because it is the rewards at the end that motivate you again in the future...

==
i propose that dc implement a reward system for the GTDs.. (maybe this should go in a new thread?)

A simple reward system: Smiley faces.
Each time a person finishes their assigned task, they get a smiley face or a good job added to their nick/page/or someplace else (similar to the ranks that each user has).

They should then be able to see that everytime they login or see a post or something... hmmm... maybe is should be on the bottom or top of all pages they visit at DC! ( a simple PHP code to fetch a database value for a userid and put that number of smiley faces on the header and/or footer should do the trick!, for efficiency you could save that value to a cookie..., now to help reduce the resistance somebody should just put the code for that in a post below.).

Inevitably, we'd like to compare ourselves! However it can be very discouraging to see people who are doing really well!, so i propose that we can have a page that shows your position and 5 above you and 10 below you... (but we shouldn't tell them we are doing this, i.e. a trick!  ;) ). This well hopefully help motivate them, seeing they are in the top third... and maybe eventually they'll be in the top spot! (or maybe gain a level after they move 5 spots???)

This concept is quite common and usually observed in homework papers... and someone has to give it to you... the recognition is what people like! (granted this won't help lurkers, but maybe it will give them an incentive?) You will probably need to create a seperate thread where people post their accomplishments and are "rewarded" with the smilies/badge/GTD icon/whatever/you get the idea...

I also remember seeing something similar to this on a board once, where you could click "Thank You" and the post creator would get those thanks or something., maybe it could also work similar to that concept...

"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
something like this was discussed before the DC GTD experiment became a certainty that it would happen.

maybe a similar feature will be implemented at some point but until then the biggest (and really, the most meaningful) reward is that you managed to overcome procrastination - you don't really require a badge or a label to be able to tell yourself that you accomplished something that is worthy or respect.

just keep reminding yourself of the task(s) you manage to do each day - it soon builds into a foundation you can use as self-encouragement - you'll know that you overcame procrastination once, so you can certainly do it again. it does become easier the more you do...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another thing I've found, is that some things I can do when a friend of mine does it, and i wouldn't do it if i were alone... i.e. that friend reduces my resistance to 0!
I think that's because i enjoy being with that friend, no matter what we are doing.

Maybe it's because misery loves company?  :P

I have noticed it works that way for me too...or not.

Sometimes we both end up doing nothing...procrastinating together.  :-[