topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: URLsnooper refuses to start!  (Read 26672 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: URLsnooper refuses to start!
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 03:40 AM »
try a test, while it is sniffing go to a site like http://www.c-span.org/
you should get quite a few found urls.

onerudyard

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 01:02 PM »
A new workaround for Win98 and WinME users.

I am using URLSnooper under Win98SE and finding the same problems as other earlier posters. Whilst the workaround described previously will get URLSnooper working, it generates a Localiser Error message each time the program is started. This new workaround avoids this problem and gives an error-free startup each time.

The problem only arises when the program starts using the "native" english language. If the Translation Pack is downloaded and, say, the french or german language files are placed in the URLSnooper2 directory, then the program will start correctly, albeit in either french or german, provided one of these additional languages is selected from the Languages menu (which will appear automatically when a language file is present).

To get the program to start correctly in english it is neccessary, then, to create an english "translation" file. Download the Translator Kit (link is on URLSnooper homepage) and use this to create a new language file. I chose English(United States) but you could choose any that are on the list. DO NOT simply select English as this will produce confusion with the "native" (english) language file. It it probably not neccessary to actually edit anything (although being a pedant who needs to get a life, I did correct a few typos), simply save the new language file, URLSnooper.ENU.lng, to the URLSnooper2 directory.

Next use REGEDIT to delete the value
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\Locales\"C:\Program Files\URLSnooper2\URLSnooper.exe"

Now start URLSnooper. A new menu item - Languages will be present. There should be two options on the drop down menu. English (which will have been automatically selected) and English(United States), the new language. Select this. The registry key will now be set to "enu" and when URLSnooper is started on any subsequent occasion it will automatically start with English(United States) as the language.

I would be glad to post the file "URLSnooper.ENU.lng" on this forum to save you all the bother of going through the above, but as it is a binary file and I am new to boards like this, I have no idea how to do that or even whether it is feasible.

I will also make a separate posting that will detail a series of observations on what is happening when the program starts/refuses to start that may prove useful in diagnosing the cause of the problem and aid in resolving it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 01:21 PM »
sounds great onerudyard -- i did discover it was localizer issue but had trouble rebuilding it with fixes, so any discoveries you found would be very welcome indeed.  you can email me (the author of url snooper) at [email protected] directly if you like.

oh, and welcome to the site  :up:

-mouser

onerudyard

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Now that I have figured out how to add attachments to my postings (people like me should not be let loose on a site until they have learnt how to use it properly - sorry), here is a zip of the file URLSnooper.ENU.lng that should solve the "won't start under Win98/WinMe" problem. (See my posting of 23 May 2007).