topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Major software project redesign  (Read 4113 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Major software project redesign
« on: January 05, 2023, 09:57 AM »
Thought this might be of interest to the programmers here.

There’s an open source music notation program called MuseScore which competes with expensive commercial notation apps such as Sibelius and Notion. And, as is the case with many complex open source projects, the code base has gradually become more and more unmanageable up to the point of requiring a major design overhaul and rewrite due to the number of code contributors over the years.

This video by the project lead developer (who goes by the  name of Tantacrul) walks us through the design process that was employed to fix MuseScore for its latest release.

I think it’s a pretty interesting process he unpacks for us - and demonstrates a structured approach we can apply to our own programming efforts.

For those out there who are musicians, the latest version (4) of MuseScore has just been released. Available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. I’ve been using it (Windows version) for a bit now and it will definitely be replacing the commercial notation software I’ve previously been using. So…highly recommended.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 01:55 PM by 40hz »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Major software project redesign
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 08:09 AM »
Thanks 40hz . Seems a very interesting point

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 04:50 PM »
This video by the project lead developer (who goes by the  name of Tantacrul) walks us through the design process that was employed to fix MuseScore for its latest release.

Great video.  As a developer and UX lover, I could watch videos like this all day long.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 06:57 PM »
Thanks for posting about MuseScore 4 - very interesting.
Music scores are another datatype that arguably needs to be added to the 21st-century Zettelkasten, with search and smart-linking to the relevant audio tracks...