topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ideas Needed: Tech For New Parents  (Read 2636 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ideas Needed: Tech For New Parents
« on: May 04, 2022, 06:59 AM »
Hey lovelies!

So...I need some ideas to make life easier once baby gets here (first child [baby boy] is due in September!).  Looking for some tech ideas to make things easier/automate things around the house.

I already have an automatic formula maker and cameras but wondering if any other parents have "tech'd" things up  :D

~Kynlo (Stephen)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ideas Needed: Tech For New Parents
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 03:15 PM »
I have a lot of niblings (nephews and nieces) with about 20 years spread between the oldest and the youngest. So I've been around a lot of diaper-wearing littles and I've changed quite a number of diapers over the years. I think that having a diaper pail is the most essential luxury for new parents.

The one I linked supports both major bag refill types. I suggest you try out both types of refills and see which you prefer. I know someone who tried one type, had some complaints about it, then went out and bought a different diaper pail that supported the other type of refill, only to find out they had even more complaints about that one and learned that they preferred the first one. So it's nice that this one supports both types. It also advertises itself as having a "self-sealing system" which twists the bag closed, preventing foul odors from coming back out when you open the lid to put another diaper in. And it has a foot pedal which makes it easy to open with your foot while your hands are full.

Diaper Pail.jpgIdeas Needed: Tech For New Parents

And these won't come in handy for a while, but once you start transitioning away from formula/bottles to a more standard drinking cup, these silicone membrane-covered cups are nice. They're not 100% spill-proof, but usually the worst that happens when they fall is that a little bit of liquid comes out due to the force of the impact and then nothing else comes out. Very rarely I've seen the silicon membrane pop off completely when the cup was dropped, at which point the liquid is free to flow out of the cup. But even then it still flows more slowly than it would in a regular cup. They also come without handles to be even more like a regular cup.

Sippy Cup.jpgIdeas Needed: Tech For New Parents

I know neither of these suggestions are hi-tech gadgets that are super fun for tech-geeks like us, but in my experience and observations, these two items will potentially be useful to you for years, and possibly for multiple children if you have more.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ideas Needed: Tech For New Parents
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 04:58 PM »
I have a lot of niblings (nephews and nieces) with about 20 years spread between the oldest and the youngest. So I've been around a lot of diaper-wearing littles and I've changed quite a number of diapers over the years. I think that having a diaper pail is the most essential luxury for new parents.

The one I linked supports both major bag refill types. I suggest you try out both types of refills and see which you prefer. I know someone who tried one type, had some complaints about it, then went out and bought a different diaper pail that supported the other type of refill, only to find out they had even more complaints about that one and learned that they preferred the first one. So it's nice that this one supports both types. It also advertises itself as having a "self-sealing system" which twists the bag closed, preventing foul odors from coming back out when you open the lid to put another diaper in. And it has a foot pedal which makes it easy to open with your foot while your hands are full.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

And these won't come in handy for a while, but once you start transitioning away from formula/bottles to a more standard drinking cup, these silicone membrane-covered cups are nice. They're not 100% spill-proof, but usually the worst that happens when they fall is that a little bit of liquid comes out due to the force of the impact and then nothing else comes out. Very rarely I've seen the silicon membrane pop off completely when the cup was dropped, at which point the liquid is free to flow out of the cup. But even then it still flows more slowly than it would in a regular cup. They also come without handles to be even more like a regular cup.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I know neither of these suggestions are hi-tech gadgets that are super fun for tech-geeks like us, but in my experience and observations, these two items will potentially be useful to you for years, and possibly for multiple children if you have more.

Added both of these things to my "check them out" list! 

Thanks!!!