topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opera Start Page Question  (Read 4709 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Opera Start Page Question
« on: October 30, 2021, 02:30 PM »
So I decided to give the Opera browser a shot, since IE is rather long dead - Yes I'm still using it (hush..).

Is there any way of getting Google Search off of the default Opera Start Page?? I've seen many suggestions that don't work … Does anyone know of one that does?

I'm actually kinda liking this thing...just don't wanna see no 'G' world crap.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera Start Page Question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 02:37 PM »
Under Settings, scroll to the bottom and then click to show advanced settings. Then keep scrolling till you get to the Start Page settings, and turn this switch on:

Screenshot - 10_30_2021 , 3_33_14 PM.pngOpera Start Page Question

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Well that was easy enough..

Thanks!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 09:56 AM »
I used the first completely free version of Opera (v. 8.02) and stuck with it for many years.  Small and fast!

Since you are new to Opera I thought I would put in $.02 that may make it easier to get a few things off the ground quickly.  If the Opera extensions store does not have an extension to do something you want you may wish to install the "Install Chrome Extensions" extension.  Since Opera is chrome based many, but not all, chrome extensions will work with it.  You just hav to try them and see.  The other thing a bit unique to Opera, it has its own Fast Dial mechanism without having to install an extension.  The dials are ordinary bookmarks.  You can populate the start page with a bunch of dials at once by selecting multiple bookmarks and pasting them into the Fast Dial favorites folder.

I have a low powered laptop so I find that video streaming often forces me to use Edge.  But for doing my email and checking out forums etc..  I always use the Opera Fast Dials.

Welcome to the big O!    :Thmbsup:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 04:06 PM »
You can populate the start page with a bunch of dials at once by selecting multiple bookmarks and pasting them into the Fast Dial favorites folder.

It supports folders, too. ;)

I use Opera for work, and Vivaldi for everything else. (I love Vivaldi's multi-level tab stacking, a feature that Opera unfortunately does not have.)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 09:46 AM »
You can populate the start page with a bunch of dials at once by selecting multiple bookmarks and pasting them into the Fast Dial favorites folder.

It supports folders, too. ;)

I use Opera for work, and Vivaldi for everything else. (I love Vivaldi's multi-level tab stacking, a feature that Opera unfortunately does not have.)

I tried Vivaldi a few times.  It did not feel ready for prime time.  But that was around 9 years ago.  I should try out the portable version just to give it another go.    :Thmbsup:

Edit:  since Vivaldi was released in 2016 trying it 9 years ago was not possible.  I guess it just seems like that long.   ;D  I must have tried it on the Toshiba Laptop I had in those days.  Sorry for being a cup short of a coffee.   8)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:28 PM by MilesAhead »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 03:38 PM »
Hay, while we're playing whose got the most browsers. There's a feature in IE that I've never seen duplicated anywhere else. That being the ability to run multiple isolated private mode sessions. So if I was logged into one users account in private mode, I could just hit file--> New session, and log into a different users account without the two trying to interact/trip over each other ... Because each instance was running in its own segregated sandbox.

Do any of the other browsers do that?? Because it is extremely handy for (client network) admin stuff, where you have to be in multiple accounts and/or networks at the same time. And with everyone going cloud with everything I'm running into this (and out of browsers) more and more frequently.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Hay, while we're playing whose got the most browsers.

And now you know why I have so many browsers.  ;)

You can launch Pale Moon with the -P parameter to force it to show the Profile Manager, which would allow you to launch multiple instances of Pale Moon, each using a different profile. Each profile would have it's own everything...bookmarks, history, cookies, add-ons, etc. The Profile Manager also lets you quickly and easily create new profiles on the fly, as well as delete those that you no longer need. To force Pale Moon to always show the Profile Manager, just append the -P parameter to the shortcut target that you use to launch the browser.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Zoiks! Another one...

Okay, so how well does Pale Moon deal with the asshat sites that "require" Chrome? Pale Moon Site says it's Goanna based - never heard of it - so what's it Goanna do when it encounters the Chromium canvas control and friends?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Hay, while we're playing whose got the most browsers.

Heh heh.  I wrote a kludgy browser utility BingThing that has 8 buttons for browsers.  That is enough for me these days.  I don't program anymore.  Maybe I'll get my feet wet again if I have someplace to park Desktop PCs(tm) along with broadband/WiFi access.   :Thmbsup:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 07:53 PM »
Okay, so how well does Pale Moon deal with the asshat sites that "require" Chrome? Pale Moon Site says it's Goanna based - never heard of it - so what's it Goanna do when it encounters the Chromium canvas control and friends?

Goanna is a fork of Mozilla's Gecko. It's not perfect, but no solution ever is. If you come across a site that doesn't work with it, report it to the developer. You'll find that Pale Moon supports much more than the last Gecko based version of Firefox does.

However, should you end up needing a working user agent switcher add-on, for sites that engage in browser bigotry for no good functional reason, contact me privately. I have an old Firefox one that has been edited to work with Pale Moon, that I can't share publicly. ;)