Microsoft keeps adding nice stuff to the revived PowerToys appshttps://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys
Most recently PowerToys Run, a launcher app that has some similarity with FindAndRunRobothttps://github.com/m...src/modules/launcher
Here are my subjective impressions after some quick tests.
1. PowerToys Run has a nice, clean interface with big fonts and no clutter. It takes inspiration from the launcher Wox.
FARR can be similarly minimally styled using the slenderFARR skin
, display option "Large Icon Slides", dragging to hide the toolbar buttons, and using a script to hide the statusbar text
2. Run has built in support for CMD/terminal commands through the > prefix.
FARR can do that too by creating an alias like this:alias name:
run terminal commandRegEx:
cmd | C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c $$1
3. PowerToys Run can search and switch to open windows. That's a nice to have feature!
4. PowerToys does not have aliases. FARR has very powerful aliases.
That is a huge difference. Aliases make FARR searches and actions very easy to customize - it becomes a much more powerful and versatile tool. Even more so when combined with some small AutoHotkey scripts.
All in all I still prefer FARR. Not a big surprise I suppose!
But its age is showing a bit.
- I wish the FARR default UI had a more flat and minimal design.
- To create/test/edit/share/backup FARR aliases is a bit clunky, which might prevent new users from making and using the more powerful aliases features.
- The FARR options give intricate control of search result scoring, which was perhaps more relevant for the era of slow hardrives than for new faster SSD storage.