topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Questionable URL and Netgear Armor  (Read 3048 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Questionable URL and Netgear Armor
« on: October 11, 2019, 08:23 AM »
I recently signed up for a trial of the netgear armor service through my router.  I figured that you can't have too much protection, and I like a lot of the analytics in it, so was thinking of actually continuing after my trial.  I received my first alert today- several times, two of my machines tried to hit https://skydrive.wns.windows.com/.  As I know that windows.com is legit, I was thinking it was a false positive- maybe some reference to skydrive still in onedrive or something.  But to be safe, I tried it on archive.is, and this was the first time that site didn't work to retrieve a URL, so now I'm a bit concerned about it.  I checked it on virustotal and it came up OK, but the inability to retrieve it still has me concerned.

Does anyone know anything about that url?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Questionable URL and Netgear Armor
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:49 AM »
WNS is windows notification service, not being able to go to it via browser, whether directly, archived or otherwise, doesn't necessarily make it malicious.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Thanks!  I've submitted it as a FP.   :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 12:02 PM »
But to be safe, I tried it on archive.is, and this was the first time that site didn't work to retrieve a URL, so now I'm a bit concerned about it.  I checked it on virustotal and it came up OK, but the inability to retrieve it still has me concerned.

Some sites don't like archiving services, and actively block them. The workaround is to use a URL of some service that loads another site for various reasons.

For example, there's a site called Hypothes.is that allows you to add annotations to any webpage. You can get it to load any site by adding https://via.hypothes.is/ in front of the normal URL.

So for example, I archived this thread using the above method here: https://archive.fo/vOeb9