topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Warning: Do not download "Pip Cam" for Android  (Read 2750 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Warning: Do not download "Pip Cam" for Android
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Pip Cam for android, on the surface, looks to be a legitimate camera app (filters and all that jazz), but actively takes over your phone system and displays invasive advertisements over every other app you are using...all of the time.

I just spent the last hour trying to work out what was making my mothers phone (Razr) unusable due to an invasion of ads, and within that hour I got shown around 150+ ads that, some of them couldn't be skipped at all (or just closed instantly).

As it transpires, after a bit of digging around to wtf she had installed, I noticed that Android had mentioned on the dtopdown bar that Pip Cam was "drawing" over other apps...not liking the sound of a camera app being able to do that, I uninstalled it...the second I did....the search icon that was glued to the screen was there no longer, and all the ads stopped instantly.

I provide the link to the Play Store listing for it purely so you can see which it is, and which you should to remove if you come across anybody else with this issue:

https://play.google....pcamera&hl=en_GB

~Stephen

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Warning: Do not download "Pip Cam" for Android
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Have you clicked "Flag as inappropriate" yet? That app clearly violates Google's policies on monetization and ads:

"Ads associated with your app must not interfere with other apps, ads, or the operation of the device, including system or device buttons and ports. This includes overlays, companion functionality, and widgetized ad units. Ads must only be displayed within the app serving them. "

https://play.google....ads/ads/interfering/

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Warning: Do not download "Pip Cam" for Android
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Have you clicked "Flag as inappropriate" yet? That app clearly violates Google's policies on monetization and ads:

"Ads associated with your app must not interfere with other apps, ads, or the operation of the device, including system or device buttons and ports. This includes overlays, companion functionality, and widgetized ad units. Ads must only be displayed within the app serving them. "

https://play.google....ads/ads/interfering/

Yeah I sent a detailed report directly to them :) I posted here after I did that.