topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Et Tu, CCleaner!  (Read 18222 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Et Tu, CCleaner!
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 11:44 AM »
4wd: "Wouldn't it be a lot less complicated, (and cheaper), to have the browser delete cookies when it's closed, (ie. they all become session cookies) ?"

Hence my question above; unfortunately, the traditional FF add-in having brilliantly done exactly that not working anymore beyond FF 56 (or whatever the exact version number was).

Firefox provides an option  to delete all cookies when the browser is closed (Options/Privacy & Security/Cookies and Site Data/Keep Until...Firefox is closed).

A more flexible solution is to leave the setting at the default "...Until they expire" and use a cookie whitelist extension to determine which ones to keep or delete.  Two such extensions that work well for me are "Cookie AutoDelete" and "Forget Me Not," both of which are compatible with current Firefox versions.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 04:05 PM »
4wd was being ironic.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 04:21 PM »
4wd was being ironic.
No doubt, but ital2 was not.

That's who the info was directed at, although others may find it useful too.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 07:10 PM »
For deleting cookies as I go, in Slimjet (Chrome) I use Cookie AutoDelete.
The info page says that:
"During this session, Cookie AutoDelete has deleted 237 cookies and in total 32497 cookies."
It "Auto-deletes unused cookies from your closed tabs while keeping the ones you want." and is apparently based on https://github.com/C...te/Cookie-AutoDelete

I recall that when I used Firefox (before Mozilla destroyed it for me), I had a useful cookie-killer that deleted newly-arrived cookies after a pre-set time interval (10 seconds or so), even if the tab was still open. You could tell it to leave cookies from selected websites alone. The advantage was that those websites that forced you to accept their cookies, or objected if you wouldn't accept their cookies, were none the wiser when their cookies were subsequently individually deleted, and it kept the place really tidy.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:35 PM by IainB »