topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Copy BOTH image and path simultaneously  (Read 4841 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Copy BOTH image and path simultaneously
« on: March 28, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Mouser,

Here is my feature request:  add another post-capture option which will copy BOTH the image data AND the file path of the screenshot file to the clipboard together at the same time.

The Windows clipboard is capable of holding more than one kind of format simultaneously - I'm sure you know that.

Here is my reasoning for usage:
I take a screenshot, most of the time I immediately paste the image into my email to embed the image.
But about half the time I need the file path instead and I usually need to paste it into a file-browser dialogue.
If both formats were on the clipboard, the file-browse dialogue would only accept the text anyway - so having the image data won't affect that - AND I wouldn't have to fetch the path manually.
For non text-only applications, the image data should get pasted.

It's an idea; I'm sure there are complications.  What do you think?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Copy BOTH image and path simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:42 PM »
This is a very good idea -- I must admit I've never tried copying multiple formats to clipboard though I know it's possible.
I will try -- just please remind me in a week if I forget.. Next few days will all be a blur getting ready for fundraiser in April.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Thanks for considering it!  This is Sacred Triduum anyway (starting tomorrow).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35 PM »
Mouser,
Here is my feature request:  add another post-capture option which will copy BOTH the image data AND the file path of the screenshot file to the clipboard together at the same time.
The Windows clipboard is capable of holding more than one kind of format simultaneously - I'm sure you know that.

Here is my reasoning for usage:
I take a screenshot, most of the time I immediately paste the image into my email to embed the image.
But about half the time I need the file path instead and I usually need to paste it into a file-browser dialogue.
If both formats were on the clipboard, the file-browse dialogue would only accept the text anyway - so having the image data won't affect that - AND I wouldn't have to fetch the path manually.
For non text-only applications, the image data should get pasted.

It's an idea; I'm sure there are complications.  What do you think?

@BGM: At the risk of repetition, this (below) might help or be be of use, since it could provide the functionality that you seem to require:
...i succeeded once to scan the entire screen  and save with only pressing the key prt screen.
but this disapeared.
how can i set it it the program ?
Despite its being in this thread, I suspect that the OP may not be a ScreenshotCaptor query per se.

@erze26 seems to be talking about the built-in Windows system PrtSc (PrintScreen) function. It does not require a third-party tool such as SC (ScreenshotCaptor) to do that.
The reason the screenshot "disappears" is probably that it just goes to Clipboard as a Copy operation, and is overwritten by the next text or image Copy to Clipboard. Thus, what's in the Clipboard is transient and seems to "disappear". I think the screenshot may also be saved to a default Windows directory, but this will be determined by system settings/preferences.

This is why I keep banging on about CHS (ClipboardHelp & Spell) as being an ideal image capture management tool, if users (and its author) only but realised it. The user can forget about worrying about image filenames or what directory the ruddy image is stored in or where it is.

It really does seem rather like a no-brainer, to me: If CHS is running, then every screenshot image that goes to Clipboard also is saved to the CHS image database folder [NB: together with any preset post-capture SC(ScreenshotCaptor} artefacts added at time of capture , if SC was being used to make the screenshot], from where the user can, at their leisure, view that image saved - just scroll through the images flagged in the CHS Grid display and view the image (with zooming) in the CHS Memo display. The user can at that point also trigger a separate image viewer (e.g., Irfanview) from the view button in the CHS Memo display, which will have previously been associated with images in the CHS settings. Any half-decent image viewer will also have a built-in image management tool and metadata editing tool. The latter would typically be an EXIF editor - e.g., Irfanview is very good in both regards.

If the user then wants to operate on (edit/change) that image, then they can invoke the third-party image editing tool (e.g., SC is very good) from the edit button in the CHS Memo display and which would have been associated with image editing in the CHS settings. (NB: This would require that SC or other image editor be installed first, of course.)

Done this way, the user:
  • can forget about the image file (if/when needed, it's path and name are given in the Text tab in the CHS Memo display), and
  • can forget about the viewer/editor applications (they are seamlessly integrated into CHS settings), and
  • concentrate on the task at hand - namely the functionality that is required (e.g., image view and/or edit) regarding any particular screen capture or clip or other image selected in CHS.

All the above boils down to making the whole process of image capture management more effective/efficient. It's a useful time-saving approach, simply because it automates the integration of image application functionality. The user typically doesn't generally capture an image because they want to capture it per se, but because they want to do something with the image
 - or its file - once it has been captured.

When seeking to improve a frequently-used and manually intensive process, the rule of thumb is generally to automate wherever possible/feasible and cost-effective to do so.
(As usually described in most/any Work Study practitioner's handbook.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:49 PM by IainB »

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Thanks, lainB, for the info there - but SC *already* saves the image file to a directory.  Also, I *can* fetch the last file path as text via a commandline to SC.
(presently, I have SC keep the bitmap on the clipboard, and I have a button on my taskbar to send commandline to SC for the filepath; but I have a couple of issues with this that I won't bring up here).

But what I was proposing is a bit different.
I am wanting BOTH the bitmap AND the file path on the SAME clipboard. 

Windows Clipboard is capable of handling more than one kind of data format on clipboard simultaneously.  For example, when you copy something from MS Word and paste it into MS Word, it is pasted as rich-text; but if you paste it into notepad it is pasted as plain text.  MS Word will let you choose to paste as richtext OR plaintext - so you can see the different formats present.

If I could have the bitmap AND the text on the clipboard then I would not have to issue any new commands to have the data when I want it.  It would just be there.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 06:19 PM »
@BGM: Ah, I think I understand now. I had not properly read/understood your requirements.