topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Terms of Service; Didn't Read” (short: ToS;DR)  (Read 3345 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Terms of Service; Didn't Read” (short: ToS;DR)
« on: January 29, 2018, 04:44 AM »
Terms of Service - How good are they?
By "How good?", I of course intend to mean, "To what extent are they in the user's/consumer's favour?".

For the first time that I was aware of, someone has shone the hard light of scrutiny on the ToS of various well-known software and service providers.
I am referring to ToS;DR

Turns out that this has actually been going as a project since 2012 (first occurs on Wayback in 2013), but I don't recall having come across it before. I didn't recollect whether ToS;DR had been mentioned before on DC Forum, so I did a search, and came up with this from 2014: Nobody reads Software licenses...not even the people who made my router it seems
There, the link is given to the project website: Terms of Service; Didn't Read

Worth a look from a consumer information perspective, but worrying when you look at the Privacy/Control issues. The vendor basically seems to dictate the Terms.

Spot your "favourite" (or recommend it) there.
Their blog is also linked to, and is worth a read: http://blog.tosdr.org/

EDIT 2018-02-14: I improved the content of this post as it seemed a bit disjointed the way I had originally written it. (Apologies.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:28 PM by IainB »

NetRunner

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Terms of Service; Didn't Read” (short: ToS;DR)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:55 AM »
I try to add every contract page of services I use to my Website-Watcher's bookmarks, so I can get notified promptly when they change and easily see what changed.

Hopefully someday an artificial intelligence script will be available to read them and output a simple overview of the main points.

Until then, that is a nice initiative.