just got a big upgrade. It has been re-released as Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop
with more campaigns, more multiplayer options (including co-op bots to help fill out your party), Steam Workshop support for community-made campaigns and mods, and more.
Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop extends Alien Swarm, bringing more of everything: maps, aliens, game modes, guns... And most importantly Steam Workshop support.
- Tactical co-op for up to 8 players with a top-down perspective
- Steam Workshop support for community maps and challenges
- New co-operative campaigns
- Challenges: Modifications of the game, just like Mutations in Left 4 Dead 2
- PvP: Deathmatch, Gun Game, Instagib, and Team Deathmatch
- Singleplayer: Play with improved bots on all our official maps
- New Aliens: HL2 antlion guards and more
- New Weapons: Desert Eagle, Devastator, and Combat Rifle, with more to come
And it's still completely free
I had a lot of fun playing Alien Swarm with other DC members
, but it always seemed unfairly hard if you couldn't get a full party of 4 players. But now with the addition of bots, it's very doable to complete the original campaign with even just two competent players.
I haven't tried any of the new campaigns yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so. Hopefully with folks from DC again.