topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Two amazing talks on the creation of "Legacy" style board games  (Read 9381 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I've posted before about how I had the most amazing time playing the board game Pandemic Legacy.
Pandemic (2007) is one of the most famous cooperative board games, and it is a great game in its own right.  But the idea of a Legacy game is to add elements to the game that change each time you play it.
Stickers are applied to cards, new boxes are opened revealing new pieces to play with, and new surprises are unveiled as an ongoing story unfolds over the course of a 12-24 games.

It is an incredible experience -- by far the best gaming experience I've hard in decades of playing board games.

It really makes me want to get into making one of these kinds of games..

Anyway, the designers of Pandemic Legacy recently gave a couple of talks on the development of the game, and the talks are surprisingly insightful and useful for anyone considering working on this kind of thing, and I hadn't realized how seriously they considered some of the issues that just seemed to flow naturally during the course of the games..

Highly recommended for anyone interested in this kind of thing..

Video 1:

Video 2:
http://gdcvault.com/...y-Games-From-Risk-to

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Two amazing talks on the creation of "Legacy" style board games
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:40 PM »
You can now regularly pick up "Pandemic Legacy" for $30-$40 (for example here at coolstuffinc where I buy my board games: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/212613).

The best board game experience I have ever had, by far, in more than a decade of playing board games (I wrote about it here).

I think everyone on the planet should try this game..