Interesting behaviour in CHS:
Attempting to locate in the Grid the exact clip that was being displayed in the Memo panel - CHS does not always display that clip highlighted in the visible Grid pane, so you have to scroll around for it - I copied a partial string from the Title field of the clip in the Memo panel.
The string was "Corporation - psychopathy".
I then pasted that string into the Find/Search box (where the mouseover info says "filter clips using these strings"), and the clip disappeared from the Memo pane, and the Grid was empty. That is, Search could find no clip record in the database that had that string - which was clearly not
the case as the string was copied from an existing clip.
However, I had previously thought that CHS Search would unfailingly and almost instantaneously find what you asked it to search for, so I presumed that the string had something in it that was causing Search to be "blind".
Thinking that maybe it was the dash/minus character in the string ("-") that could be causing the problem, I experimented with the string. The results (hits) from CHS were interesting, though somewhat confusing:
- "Corporation - psychopathy" - CHS fails to find it (no hits), even though that is the exact string as copied from the Memo pane.
- "Corporation psychopathy" - (with just 1 space or n spaces between the two words) CHS hits show that it consistently finds the clip(s) with those words in.
- "Corporation -psychopathy" - CHS had several hits, which seemed to be only those clips with "corporation" in it, but I'm not sure about the consistency. I suspect that there may well be more to it, as I didn't go through all the hits.
- "-psychopathy" - CHS had lots of hits, but I couldn't figure out what was a consistent reason (there will be one) for selecting those hits. However, it didn't seem to be the word "psychopathy" anyway.
- "Corporation- psychopathy" - CHS had no hits.
What this would seem to indicate is that, whilst we might take it as a given (or I had, anyway) that CHS will consistently find clips in its database, and thus we might rely on CHS to do just that, the reality could be somewhat different.
I am now unsure of the rules governing this CHS search function.