topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Remix OS for PC Beta Launch  (Read 10532 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Remix OS for PC Beta Launch
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Remix OS for PC is a custom flavor of Android designed for a traditional desktop/laptop experience. It has the equivalent of the start menu, task bar, tray, and notification/action center. It also allows app windowing and running multiple apps simultaneously.

More details about Remix OS in general can be found here:

http://www.jide.com/en/remixos

Details and downloads for Remix OS for PC can be found here:

http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc

Remis OS was also briefly mentioned previously on DC here.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
Re: Remix OS for PC Beta Launch
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 01:52 AM »
Note to self, never use the supplied usb installation creator tool that they provided ever again. It bricked my flash drive.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 02:15 AM »
Sorry it messed things up for you. :(

For the record, it worked fine for me.

That said, I think it did make a "hidden" partition that Windows couldn't erase/see/format, so I had use something like GPartEd on Linux to get the thumb drive back to normal once I decided to try out installing RemixOS to the main drive instead.

mrHappy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Note to self, never use the supplied usb installation creator tool that they provided ever again. It bricked my flash drive.
Give SD Card Formatter a try, that may work.
There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who have friends.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Give SD Card Formatter a try, that may work.
I actually tried that first. I then tried a multitude of different things, until I finally ran across the clean all command in diskpart, which took forever, but somehow actually worked.

I still wanted to give the OS a try though, so I burnt it to a dvd-rw disc, and when it booted up on my old laptop, it just sat at the logo screen, and never actually loaded.
[Insert really cool signature here]

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I’ve been playing with Remix OS for a few days, first on their Remix Mini device and now in a VMware virtual machine on a Windows computer.  While it has some rough edges, it really is quite impressive for beta software.  Here are some first impressions:

The Mini is an Android device without a screen, with 2 USB ports, Ethernet, WiFI, Bluetooth, HDMI out, and a micro-SD card slot. You need a TV or monitor and a keyboard and mouse to use it. Bluetooth is the way to go for input devices, but you’ll need to start with USB at first in order to pair your Bluetooth devices.  Video performance is superb, but the ARM processor isn’t powerful enough to make you think any apps are running on a real PC.  What it does is turn any TV with an HDMI input into a full Android device much smarter than any so-called Smart TV you can buy in a store. 

The Mini costs $70 on Amazon or $90 direct, but as of now, if you download the Remix OS for PC from Jide.com, you will get an offer to subscribe to their newsletter and receive $40 off on the Mini.   At $50 I think it's a good deal.

Running Remix OS in a VM is a very different experience.  Even though apps run faster on a fast PC, video performance is not as good. So far, I’ve only been able to get 1024x786 resolution in a VM.

In both environments, I’ve been able to download apps from my Play Store account and run them without problem.  Some apps allow windowing, others only run full screen, but in any case the windowing and multitasking capabilities are rather limited compared to a desktop OS.  While I can’t see using Remix OS as a productivity environment, it actually does provide the ability to run Android apps in a VM on a Windows desktop, even if that ability is still somewhat limited.