topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Here we go again! New Onenote online broken.  (Read 4635 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here we go again! New Onenote online broken.
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:58 AM »
A quick trip today to see how Onenote online is doing and alas, it seems to be broken.

First, you can "find in page" or "find in section" but there's no more "find in notebook".
Second, a search result of "find in section" showed 8 to be found but only clicking on those findings only resulted with certain elements on the default start page being hightlighted. Sheeessh!  :huh:

Another Microsoft blunder, i say!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Here we go again! New Onenote online broken.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:27 AM »
Another Microsoft blunder, i say!

Yes, well, I do think the web-based OneNote is a cynical marketing sop:
Re: Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks
...The clincher is seeing how the Cloud-based Notebooks are so reliable, easily accessible and can be shared via the web, though the web-based OneNote UI itself is rubbish and nothing like as good/flexible/functional as the Client-based application.
By the way, the "$FREE" OneNote web UI (discussed elsewhere in the DC forum) is a cynically minimally-functioning product and should be avoided IMO. I would recommend that the user goes for the Client application every time (which necessitates MS Office), or not at all.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 07:20 AM »
Can't help to admire folks at Evernote or Cintanotes who have limited budgets to work with.  :Thmbsup:
Then again, suppose Microsoft can't be good at everything they do, can they?  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:15 AM »
I have a mostly former client that abandoned his in-house infrastructure and shifted his entire business (he's an attorney) to Microsoft's cloud "solution."

It's been...less than ideal for him even though he staunchly sticks with it. He's had problems with OneDrive (files appearing and disappearing, and sporadic sync issues) and more headaches with OneNote (and he really is a very knowledgable and experienced power user when it comes to that app) than I'd be willing to tolerate if I were paying for Office 360.

Time was when he could call me and I'd be able to diagnose and straighten out whatever the problem was. Today, we  mostly have brief but pleasant chats during which I usually end up telling him he's going to need to get in the queue with Mothership Microsoft. Because only they are in a position to fix the issue(s) he's having - and I don't have any inside pull to speed things up like I do with the other companies I generally work with.

I've often said you can never trust any server you don't personally control. Lately, I've started to add you can also only fix a server issue if it's your server.

Brave new world. Glad I've elected not to be a part if it.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 01:51 PM »
I have a mostly former client that abandoned his in-house infrastructure and shifted his entire business (he's an attorney) to Microsoft's cloud "solution."

It's been...less than ideal for him even though he staunchly sticks with it. ...

It would be interesting to know:
  • What were the business reasons/objectives for making that wholesale migration and have they been met?
  • Did the migration take place in an orderly and planned fashion?
  • What was the analysis of potential risks and what contingencies were considered and planned for mitigation of said risks?
  • What risks actually eventuated (in comparison to the risk analysis)?

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Skydrive, Onedrive, call it whatever it is today - was never my first choice.
Slow to sync (for a long time) for one...
Anyway Dropbox is still very good and there are others like Copy (very fast and good too!).

@40hz, wonder if your friend had considered modifying backup folder as a plan "b" to protect his data in case Onedrive has a hick again?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 03:16 PM »
Skydrive, Onedrive, call it whatever it is today - was never my first choice.
Slow to sync (for a long time) for one...
Anyway Dropbox is still very good and there are others like Copy (very fast and good too!).

@40hz, wonder if your friend had considered modifying backup folder as a plan "b" to protect his data in case Onedrive has a hick again?

I did a whole multi-tier backup plan for him in the wake. He now has a local backup to an external HD plus a remote backup through AT&T business services, plus his OneDrive account. I had to play a few scripting and scheduling games to keep everything in sync and not have OneDrive get into a conflict with his other remote service - or drag his PC to its knees in the process -  but it all worked out in the end.

In fairness, Microsoft (on all three occasions) was able to get everything restored to OneDrive. But it didn't leave him with warm fuzzies. And as is usually the case with Mocrosoft, they refused to get into how it happened, or if there was anything he could do to avoid repetitions.

The problem with OneDrive messing up on him is that it's his on the road file repository. Backup services are ok for what they are. But they don't lend themselves to situations where you need normal file access from a remote location and sync features.

Office 360 is an interesting and capable product (one they get the rest of the bugs worked out) for a specific class of business cases. But it's not the panacea (at least yet) that Microsoft is selling it as. There's been two occasions (so far) where he had to completely reinstall everything. Which made me laugh because that was how you used to "fix" problems you were having with your Apple Macintosh before OSX came out - just reinstall the OS, or trash your prefs and reinstall a buggy application. Even weirder (if you were a PC person) that would fix it about 99% of the time.

Dunno...the more things change, the more they all start looking familiar to me. I guess I've been around long enough that the technology is starting to loop back and I'm now on my second trip through. I keep looking for the coda, but I just seem to keep hitting a dal segno in this tech opera. ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:23 PM by 40hz »