topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: YNAB moving to a subscription model  (Read 55804 times)

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: YNAB moving to a subscription model
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Today Bitsdujour is offering a significant discount on a personal finance program, Personal Finances Pro.

From a quick look this seems like a promising program, which might be of interest to people seeking an alternative to YNAB's subscription model, although potential users should obviously give it a more comprehensive look.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2016, 08:31 PM »
... @IainB
Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise MS Money was still an option. Does it have any mobile apps, like YNAB or Moneydance, to keep the budget etc. updated on the go via Dropbox?

Sorry for belated response, I only saw your Q today (2016-06-03). Sorry, I don't know. It might do. I use the proggie, but am not interested in, nor aware of, the options you ask about. However, if you have a mandatory requirement for mobile apps or (say) Dropbox integration then I suspect that the answer would probably be "No". For example, I don't see any reference to those sorts of things on the features comparison chart at Microsoft Money Plus Sunset - Mini-Review

That doesn't necessarily mean that someone won't decide to write an app/add-on to the proggie to do those things though. There's a huge existing user base for MS Money, and they wouldn't want to migrate away from it to a costly system unless they had to (and they don't). There are already some people writing add-ons for it, I gather - e.g., feeds for tracking (asset) stock prices.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 08:37 PM by IainB »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2017, 06:53 PM »
A year on since this was announced, has anyone moved on from YNAB to something else? Or did anyone bite the bullet and update to the subscription model?

I'm still happily using YNAB 4, but am having a hard time figuring out what to recommend to people who ask about budgeting software. Especially since, AFAICT, you can't purchase licenses to YNAB 4 anymore. It has even been delisted from Steam.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Nope.  Still using YNAB 4.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2017, 12:46 AM »
Also still using YNAB 4 .. if it stops working at some point I might try if Moneydance does enough for my needs, but it is highly unlikely I will pay a subscription fee for YNAB (I feel like it's an app and not a service).

Unbathed

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Or did anyone bite the bullet and update to the subscription model?

I waited until the new version ripened some, then moved to the subscription model.

I prefer subscription to pay-per-upgrade. I want the developers to prioritize "bugs that will make subscribers quit" over "features that will make non-customers into single-purchase customers."

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2017, 02:12 AM »
I'm re-trialling nYNAB and although it's not perfect and I think it's too expensive, I do like it. I appreciate that I can alter my budget in the mobile app and on any PC. I tried Financier - www.financier.io - which is a good alternative, but the (single) developer is open about not wanting to put much work into new features and basically just maintain it. That would be fine with me if it had scheduled transactions and a mobile app, which it doesn't.

I think I'll start paying for the subscription once my trial runs out. Budgeting for the subscription shouldn't be too difficult, after all ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I have to hand it to the folks at YNAB! They just updated the "Classic" mobile app so that it would be compatible with changes Dropbox is making to their API in June. They only committed to supporting the "legacy" version of YNAB until the end of 2016, so it's nice of them to have made this change for those of us who still aren't happy with and haven't changed over to their subscription model.