topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tabr: rethinking the way we navigate through multiple Chrome tabs  (Read 7174 times)

onlinewolves

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi there,

I just would like to ask try our new extension for Chrome. It's called Tabr https://chrome.googl...plgggpoakjbfdiiiggfa
tabr screenshot.jpgTabr: rethinking the way we navigate through multiple Chrome tabs
We create this extension for those who used to have dozens Chrome tabs open and suffer from Chrome memory leaking and tab clutter. Tabr allows to see al your tabs in all windows in one windows with big thumbnails, you can archive tabs and whole session to retrieve them again. This way you free up your RAM.

Please, share your experience about this extension.

Paul

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tabr: rethinking the way we navigate through multiple Chrome tabs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:06 PM »
Hi there,

I just would like to ask try our new extension for Chrome. It's called Tabr https://chrome.googl...plgggpoakjbfdiiiggfa
[ Invalid Attachment ]
We create this extension for those who used to have dozens Chrome tabs open and suffer from Chrome memory leaking and tab clutter. Tabr allows to see al your tabs in all windows in one windows with big thumbnails, you can archive tabs and whole session to retrieve them again. This way you free up your RAM.

Please, share your experience about this extension.

Paul

I'll have to look into this. I'm not really a Chrome user (before this?!) at all, I'm a FF guy, but I get really grumpy that combos of tab clutter and memory leakage are all over the kind of stuff I do on my comp, so it might not be bad to try out something that can clean them up.

Oh look! I just created a new tab to save in my browser while I investigate this with four more tabs!

:D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 03:02 AM »
Does this work with the "Chrome Spinoffs" like Comodo Dragon and so on?

Plus there's this snip from the Chrome Browser Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia...le_Chrome#Extensions

"As of February 4, 2011, the extension gallery featured more than 11,500 extensions,[149] including official extensions from the Independent,[150] CEOP,[151] Transport for London,[152] Cricinfo,[153] Web of Trust (WOT),[154] and FIFA.[155]

Many Chrome extensions, once installed, have access to the user's data. There are three levels of permissions that an app or extension may request.[156]

On May 27, 2014, Google issued an update to Chrome preventing Windows users from installing extensions obtained outside the Chrome Web Store.[157]"

What unusual info might it want to collect and do things with? How does the Chrome Store interact with the spinoff browsers?

I'm trying to keep track of this addon but I got into research mode this week and each new item spawns 7 other things to do!

:tellme:  :o

onlinewolves

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Does this work with the "Chrome Spinoffs" like Comodo Dragon and so on?

Plus there's this snip from the Chrome Browser Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia...le_Chrome#Extensions

"As of February 4, 2011, the extension gallery featured more than 11,500 extensions,[149] including official extensions from the Independent,[150] CEOP,[151] Transport for London,[152] Cricinfo,[153] Web of Trust (WOT),[154] and FIFA.[155]

Many Chrome extensions, once installed, have access to the user's data. There are three levels of permissions that an app or extension may request.[156]

On May 27, 2014, Google issued an update to Chrome preventing Windows users from installing extensions obtained outside the Chrome Web Store.[157]"

What unusual info might it want to collect and do things with? How does the Chrome Store interact with the spinoff browsers?

I'm trying to keep track of this addon but I got into research mode this week and each new item spawns 7 other things to do!

:tellme:  :o

Thanks for the interest and your question. In fact, the most of Chrome extensions can be installed in Chrome spin-offs. As for Tabr, it works with Vivaldi and Yandex.Browser, both are based on Chromium. I think it will work with Dragon Web Browser too.

As for collecting user's data, almost all of Chrome extensions collect anonymous data, I belive all. It is necessary for further development and support of the extension. No personal and private data are collected. Yes, we can suppose that any extension can harm you potentially. But in fact the most of extensions will not. If you find something new you should read extension's description and users' reviews carefully. As for me, I trust free extensions that have more than 1000 users. Users will not endure something bad if it is. So the figure of 1000 users is one of criteria.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 06:25 AM »
Vivaldi has come a long way and looks interesting now, so I put it in, how do I use it now?

I had some trouble finding a detailed guide on what it does. (Not helped I've never used a Chrome extension before). And I don't know what actual effects "allow access to file URL's" means.

Can you get us started?

onlinewolves

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 02:29 AM »
Vivaldi has come a long way and looks interesting now, so I put it in, how do I use it now?

I had some trouble finding a detailed guide on what it does. (Not helped I've never used a Chrome extension before). And I don't know what actual effects "allow access to file URL's" means.

Can you get us started?

In brief, once you have Tabr installed in Vivaldi:
  • open 18-20 tabs for the experiment, or even several Chrome windows with tabs simultaneously;
  • check resources in Task Manager;
  • click the Tabr icon - you'll see all your tabs like thumbnails;
  • browse all tabs, archive several ones to free up RAM;
  • then check Task Manager again to see changes;
  • later you  can retrieve archived tabs to continue working.