topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Creating your own Windows Drivers  (Read 2743 times)

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Creating your own Windows Drivers
« on: December 06, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Greetings,

I have been itching to create my own custom Windows driver for a while now and I wondered if anyone else had any experience with doing this? I'm looking at using VisualDDK to help me do this, but I just wanted to know if the end result is even worth it if you can't commercially get your driver signed.... actually I can't say that because I have no idea how driver signing works.

I will explain my idea for a custom driver too because it may already exist: I would like to create my own webcam driver that allows you to stream directly from OBS. Some virtual webcam software such as ManyCam will let you screen capture your OBS display, but I always felt you should be able to use streaming software directly with any webcam-only streaming service available, like TinyChat or Skype.

Anyone and everyone's input is greatly appreciated!
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Creating your own Windows Drivers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:33 AM »
You did get the message that that kind of drivers are (usually) written in C++, and not in C#, right ?

I don't get quite clear where the output of your webcam should end up, into Skype so you can view it remotely? All webcams I've seen (not that many though) offer some kind of software to watch remotely what's going on, what isn't good enough about that?
Or is it just another programming challenge you're after? For that itch we have NANY 2016, here at DC :Thmbsup:

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Creating your own Windows Drivers
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:46 AM »
You did get the message that that kind of drivers are (usually) written in C++, and not in C#, right ?

I don't get quite clear where the output of your webcam should end up, into Skype so you can view it remotely? All webcams I've seen (not that many though) offer some kind of software to watch remotely what's going on, what isn't good enough about that?
Or is it just another programming challenge you're after? For that itch we have NANY 2016, here at DC :Thmbsup:
Yes, I do understand that drivers are written in c++ and I have programmed in the language many moons ago and believe I can pick that bike up and start writing it again.

I believe webcamming should be a fun, interactive experience. Fully of flashy features and the ability to paste graphics and interfacing with with actual, live data. Let's say for example you do a google hangout with supporters of your project and you want the amount of currently donated campaign funds as a banner on your webcam that updates in real time. Manycam can not do this, but OBS can. As far as I know, there is no custom support to stream from OBS to google hangouts, and if there is, well, it's probably difficult for a novice. Selecting OBS as your webcam would alleviate such a problem. A one-click solution. My philosophy for creating programs is "see a need, fill a need", and I believe this would be something I would use on a regular basis and someone else out there might enjoy if they knew it existed.

... also yes this is one of my few NANY ideas, you caught me
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!