topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CCleaner v5.10.5373 (24 Sep 2015) for download  (Read 5582 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CCleaner v5.10.5373 (24 Sep 2015) for download
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:32 PM »
CCleaner v5.10.5373 (24 Sep 2015)  for download

https://www.piriform...om/ccleaner/download

- Improved Microsoft Edge Cookie management.
- Optimized internal architecture for faster start up.
- Added Chrome extension cache and cookie cleaning.
- Improved Firefox session cleaning.
- Added Firefox HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security) cookie cleaning.
- Improved Intelligent Cookie Scan.
- Improved Window resizing and DPI support.
- Added Corsican translation.
- Minor GUI Improvements.
- Minor bug fixes.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CCleaner v5.10.5373 (24 Sep 2015) for download
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:23 PM »
CCleaner v5.10.5373 (24 Sep 2015)  for download

- Added Corsican translation.

Seriously?  Everyone in Corsica actually speaks French.  Maybe this is meant as a symbolic tribute to Napoleon Bonaparte (although he spoke French too).

Should we hold out for Latin?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 02:06 AM »
^ search answer number 1: https://en.wikipedia...ki/Corsican_language

2015-09-25_083119.gif

-----------
-----------

I have CCleaner from Piriform's CCleaner Professional Plus running, but after half a year I still don't dare to run Defraggler! Piriform is saying that Defraggler Professional also works with SSD, but everyone else say "do not defrag a SSD!". What am I to believe? My laptop's old SSD is depressingly slow, so a defrag MIGHT help - or brake...

Defraggler
Speed up your PC with quick & easy defragmentation.

Defrag entire hard drives, or individual files. Works with HDD and SSD and supports NTFS and FAT32 file systems!
-Piriform
:tellme:

Modified: I've found https://piriform.zen...s/articles/204044034 , it seems to be about something in that area, but my SSD is old and does probably not have this "TRIM" feature; Defraggler doesn't tell. (I think it should.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 02:40 AM by Curt, Reason: TRIM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 06:55 AM »
@Curt I think I only tried defraggler once over a year ago.  I only owned one SSD.  I used it in a USB 3 docking station for video file conversions.  Super fast demux/mux when source and destination are both the SSD.

But anyway, I notice Auslogics Defrag Pro now has an option to optimize SSDs.  If the performance is super slow I think my approach would be to make a backup image of the SSD, then try a defrag that claims to work with SSD.  If the defrag makes things worse, just lay the saved image back on.  Or you could get one with the same controller for use with a dock and for testing.  The prices are coming down these days.  At least in the USA.  I don't know about prices in your country.

The Auslogics Defrag Pro is being given away all over the web lately.  One year no update license.  But many of these things if you hit upgrade when it asks they just do it.  The programmer likely doesn't want to break anything.  So they psych people out by saying "the update may turn it into a trial version."  But then again it may not.  So far I think I have about 5 freebies that update just as if I paid for them.  Maybe that will stop when the year is up.  I don't know.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:30 AM »
^ search answer number 1: https://en.wikipedia...ki/Corsican_language

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Corsican is an internationally recognized language, but it is not supported by any version of Microsoft Windows or Office.

Windows users in Corsica are most likely using it in French, although some folk may be using it in Italian or other Mediterranean languages supported by Microsoft.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:04 AM »
I have CCleaner from Piriform's CCleaner Professional Plus running, but after half a year I still don't dare to run Defraggler! Piriform is saying that Defraggler Professional also works with SSD, but everyone else say "do not defrag a SSD!". What am I to believe? My laptop's old SSD is depressingly slow, so a defrag MIGHT help - or brake...

TRIM is a command implemented by the operating system to mark blocks on the SSD that should no longer be used and move any data there elsewhere.  It is only available in Windows 7 and later.  Although Windows should in theory detect an SSD and enable TRIM by default, that is not alway the case, so you should check to see if it is and enable it if not.

Many newer SSDs implement their own garbage collection routines and don't need TRIM, although some people advise leaving it enabled if Windows has enabled it.

Defragmenting a hard drive improves sequential access, but SSD access is always random, so it won't make any difference in read/write speed.  What it will do is increase the number of writes to the flash memory, which can reduce its useful life.  That's why you shouldn't defragment an SSD.

I use Defraggler on HDDs (and also in VMs before compacting them), never on SSDs.  If I understand Piriform's somewhat murky documentation, Defraggler checks the drive anyway and doesn't defragment if it thinks it is an SSD.  But why bother in the first place?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 08:43 AM »
In Auslogics desk defrag pro help for SSD optimization it notes:
Reduces the number of write operations during standard defragmentation
to minimize wear of SSD drive

However from what Curt is saying I wonder if the Trim type operation is happening.  I used my SSD on Vista and the SSD driver had its own "refresh" mechanism to mark deleted storage as still in use until it could refresh it to bring the performance up to the original level.

In any case it probably won't hurt to defrag it once to see what happens provided it is backed up.

Edit: Also I would check the SSD manufacturer's web site as they may have newer software for use with it that may be downloaded.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 12:59 PM »
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 : TRIM is already enabled and working in Windows

Then I didn't click "Defrag", but "Optimize". However, the laptop did not become faster in any way.
How come this disabled my sound??? It seems multiple drivers suddenly have disappeared!!!  :(
Modified: sound problem now fixed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:46 PM by Curt, Reason: sound »