topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Logo wanted  (Read 8261 times)

s0l1dsnak3123

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Logo wanted
« on: June 15, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Hey everybody,
Is anybody round here an artist? Could anybody make me a logo for my website? my website is:

http://s0l1d.galekus.com

It's PHP nuke if you wondered (I think it is a little obvious due to the tell-tale layout)

You can just go wild really, but I would like it either really kinda computery/nerdy/techy or really modern and minimalist. The logo must be banner shaped and sized and should simply say 's0l1d' And and icon. I would like it if I got that Icon seperate with a transparent background seperately too, but that is not essential.
thanks in advance,
s0l1d

prosayist

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Logo wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:07 PM »
hello s0l1dsnak3123,
I'm round here and I'm an artist. I could make a logo for:

http://s0l1d.galekus.com/

Yes, I wondered (wasn't obvious to me)

"banner shaped and sized" = 468X60?
any requests for icon?
anything besides 's0l1d' ? (e.g., slogan)
anything else?

thanks,
-Dan
:)

s0l1dsnak3123

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 11:44 AM »
"banner shaped and sized" = 468X60?
yes
any requests for icon?
yes, keep it modern and easy to read and undestand. Maybe you could make the Icon to the left, and then have the word s0l1d to the right, so it it easier to seperate.
anything besides 's0l1d' ?
errmm nope, but instead of writing s0l1d, make it s0l1d.co.uk - as I am hoping to get a domain for it.

many thanks,

s0l1d  :Thmbsup:

P.s Yes I know that my site is down at the moment, my host just switched servers and I lost my data in the process... so I'll have to start again...  :(

prosayist

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Index of /
 Parent Directory        21-Jul-2006 12:32      - 
 admin/                  18-Jul-2006 12:18      - 
 cgi-bin/                19-Jul-2006 10:49      - 
 images/                 21-Jul-2006 12:31      - 
 yabb/                   19-Jul-2006 11:23      -
----------------------------------------------
No match for "s0l1d.co.uk".
    This domain name has not been registered.
Are you still looking for this?

I presume you're in the tedious process of website development and copying your backed up files to the new servers

Will you have any colors in mind?
  (blue/grey theme, red site with white trim, yellow and darker yellow, pink and green, black and white, earthtones... )

s0l1d or S0L1D?

I'm thinking you specialize in game hosting
  (yes, no?)

A little input goes a long way
  (.. but a little more goes even further.)

"kinda computery/nerdy/techy or really modern and minimalist"
  (-vague)

picture of a computer? 
picture of a nerd?
nerd holding a solid computer?

minimalist as in just a black 'S' inside a black '0'?
modern as in funky colors (pink? teal? purple? orange?) with geometric designs?
just black/white?
sharp designs or smooth designs? (angles and squares or curves and ellipses?)

"You can just go wild really.. "
Does this mean that I have to think of how you want to represent yourself as a web hosting professional?
Do I also need to choose the colors?
What if I pick the wrong ones and "you hate orange!" or "green doesn't go with your buttons"?

Web hosting is a hard thing to depict especially if you aren't more specific.

Many companies simply incorporate their domain name into their logo (securing the domain name BEFORE designing the site is generally very beneficial), some use a generic picture of a computer (e.g.), still others use various forms of geometric shapes representing:
a) the initials of their name
2) some aspect of their hosting features (or something)
D) just some cool shape

It would be real nice if I could know what you have to offer, what you want to convey etc. (see above) in order to provide you with a suitable logo.

:huh:

s0l1dsnak3123

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Index of /
 Parent Directory        21-Jul-2006 12:32      - 
 admin/                  18-Jul-2006 12:18      - 
 cgi-bin/                19-Jul-2006 10:49      - 
 images/                 21-Jul-2006 12:31      - 
 yabb/                   19-Jul-2006 11:23      -
No match for "s0l1d.co.uk".
    This domain name has not been registered.

My host recently changed servers and I lost all my hard work!

Are you still looking for this?
Yes I am

Will you have any colors in mind?
  (blue/grey theme, red site with white trim, yellow and darker yellow, pink and green, black and white, earthtones... )
Blue and red, green and black, or a white and coffee colour... you decide which... as my website was completely wiped I've had to start again, so you decide.

s0l1d or S0L1D?
s0l1d - all lowercase

I'm thinking you specialize in game hosting
  (yes, no?)
no, I am a programmer and a musician.

"kinda computery/nerdy/tetchy or really modern and minimalist"
  (-vague)
Sorry if this was too vague. I didn't want to tell you exactly what to do as I know artists like to let their imagination flow... like jazz music  ;)
I was thinking of a simplistic, flowing design, maybe a fire to the right turning into a ball towards the left (like a ball of wool, not like a ball of fire) and the name in front of it. just easy to look at, but with an underlying meaning.

picture of a computer? 
picture of a nerd?
nerd holding a solid computer?
LOL neither  :D

sharp designs or smooth designs? (angles and squares or curves and ellipses?)
curves preferred.

"You can just go wild really.. "
Does this mean that I have to think of how you want to represent yourself as a web hosting professional?
I meant it as "use your imagination... be creative"

Do I also need to choose the colors?
if you wish

What if I pick the wrong ones and "you hate orange!" or "green doesn't go with your buttons"?

since my website is still in development as of now, you can do any scheme you wish and I'll edit my website to match with your logo...  :Thmbsup: I know this is an odd way of doing it, but I'm bad with colour schemes, so if I get my website built around your logo, the scheme will look good  8)

Web hosting is a hard thing to depict especially if you aren't more specific.

1] I'm not a host as i mentioned above
2] I understand that its hard to depict something if you aren't specific... but what I'm trying to tell my audience is that my website is:
a] user friendly
b] good quality
c] nice to look at

Many companies simply incorporate their domain name into their logo (securing the domain name BEFORE designing the site is generally very beneficial), some use a generic picture of a computer (e.g.), still others use various forms of geometric shapes representing:
a) the initials of their name
2) some aspect of their hosting features (or something)
D) just some cool shape

D] sounds cool I mentioned something like that above

It would be real nice if I could know what you have to offer, what you want to convey etc. (see above) in order to provide you with a suitable logo.
see above

I hope I have made things more clear to you  :Thmbsup:

s0l1d

P.s domain name is on it's way.

prosayist

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:01 PM »
I am a programmer and a musician.
Sorry; I don't know how I got the idea you were into game hosting

I didn't want to tell you exactly what to do as I know artists like to let their imagination flow... like jazz music. I was thinking of a simplistic, flowing design,...
Thanks for not telling me "exactly what to do" but thanks even more for providing input as to what you have in mind.

maybe a fire to the right turning into a ball towards the left (like a ball of wool, not like a ball of fire) and the name in front of it.
Could you elaborate on the 'ball of wool'? I don't think I've ever seen one of those
(like a steel scrubbing pad? bundle of sheep fur? skein of yarn?)

just easy to look at, but with an underlying meaning.
excellent, that's precisely the design guidelines for any logo  :Thmbsup:
Would you be willing to disclose the 'underlying meaning'? Doing so may help me better understand how it needs to look.

I know this is an odd way of doing it
That's great, I'm not like everybody else either :)

what I'm trying to tell my audience is that my website is:
a] user friendly
b] good quality
c] nice to look at
Lastly, what do you intend to do with your website?
       (sell programs? give programs? do programming?
        display your music? sell music?
        have a community of some sort a la PHPNuke?
        are you looking to use this site for your resume?
        all of the above?
                   something else entirely?)
Who is your audience?

Of course you want them to know the above 3 characteristics but you also want them to know that (for example) if they need a custom song created they can call on you or (for example again) if they need a custom program, you also offer that or (for example yet again) if they just want to download some cool stuff and talk with some like-minded individuals they've come to the right place.

Maybe I really don't need to know what it is your selling/displaying/sharing/doing but I would certainly appreciate as much information as you can give. Especially the 'ball of wool' thing and the 'underlying meaning' thereof.

Sorry if I presented myself as rude, crude, crass, demanding, demeaning, sarcastic or mad before. Reading my previous post I can see how it might have been construed in that manner but it wasn't intended as such. You don't seem to have taken offense to it but, if you did, please accept my apology.

Good start!
thanks,
-Dan

s0l1dsnak3123

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 08:55 AM »
Could you elaborate on the 'ball of wool'? I don't think I've ever seen one of those
(like a steel scrubbing pad? bundle of sheep fur? skein of yarn?)
I was imagining some flames encircling each other randomly in the shape of a ball kinda like a steel wool (I'm guessing its the same as a steel scrubbing pad.).

[EDIT]

In fact a better way to describe it is as three flames (one left, one right, and one above) licking round a transparent ball.

[END EDIT]

Would you be willing to disclose the 'underlying meaning'? Doing so may help me better understand how it needs to look.

ermmm... I'm not sure what it is yet... probably just quality software for computer literate and non-computer literate people alike. If there is any help needed, this website is a pillar to support you... that old chestnut  :P

Lastly, what do you intend to do with your website?
       (sell programs? give programs? do programming?
        display your music? sell music?
        have a community of some sort a la PHPNuke?
        are you looking to use this site for your resume?
        all of the above?
                   something else entirely?)
Who is your audience?

give programs, do programming, display my music, community.
(p.s what do you mean by using my site as resume? I don't know what that means... :-\)
my audience is anybody who likes to listen to good music and  play free games and use free software... and like the community spirit too :)

if they need a custom program, you also offer that or (for example yet again) if they just want to download some cool stuff and talk with some like-minded individuals they've come to the right place.
yes definitely those two. Also if they are bored and want to have a good healthy chat with likeminded, happy, and polite people then this is the place.

Maybe I really don't need to know what it is your selling/displaying/sharing/doing but I would certainly appreciate as much information as you can give.
Well I am in the progress of making an IDE for a games programming language called DBC (if you want more info go to http://thegamecreators.com) in visual basic. An IDE is an interface with which programmers can make there games and applications in a handy environment where everything they need is in one program. The things they need are a syntax editor, an IRC client, an email client, a web browser, a media browser, an import / exporter and so on...
I also like to mix music with Sony ACID... but I'm not very good. I am better at playing music than I am at composing it. I am at grade 4 in classical guitar and grade 2 in tenor horn.

I guess thats about it :)

Sorry if I presented myself as rude, crude, crass, demanding, demeaning, sarcastic or mad before. Reading my previous post I can see how it might have been construed in that manner but it wasn't intended as such. You don't seem to have taken offense to it but, if you did, please accept my apology.
What?!? I never detected any of that... there is no need to worry I never even noticed  :Thmbsup:

prosayist

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I was imagining some flames encircling each other randomly in the shape of a ball kinda like a steel wool (I'm guessing its the same as a steel scrubbing pad.)... In fact a better way to describe it is as three flames (one left, one right, and one above) licking round a transparent ball.
good explanation, I get it.

(all of the above)
good deal; guess I know more about your goals than I think

what do you mean by using my site as resume? I don't know what that means
traditionally, when applying for a job, one would present the prospective employer with a typewritten page outlining work history, skills, objectives et cetera. Websites are another medium for accomplishing the same goal. just one example of many.. another one(Create Your Own Resume web site?)

that's all for now, I'll post again here soon

Oh, one more thing;
is the 468x60 size crucial or may it be smaller? a little picture of fire and a five letter word would leave an awful lot of blank space.

thanks,
-Dan

s0l1dsnak3123

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 12:36 PM »
is the 468x60 size crucial or may it be smaller? a little picture of fire and a five letter word would leave an awful lot of blank space.

That was the case, but as I am starting my site from scratch... make it any size you feel  :P