topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How To Filter Out Background Dining Hall Noise From Voice Recording?  (Read 3419 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I just recorded an important conversation with a professor specializing in brain waves and it was in a busy dining hall with a lot of people talking in the background and is therefore difficult to listen to.

Could you recommend a software (if possible for free) that can filter out the background conversations and make the conversation more easily understandable?

Thanks.
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:40 AM by brahman »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: How To Filter Out Background Dining Hall Noise From Voice Recording?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Sorry, it's not free, but I use Olympus DSS Player Plus (v. 7.4.1) for this, which has a "noise cancellation" feature, and also the ability to slow down playback speed. The rewind hotkey is also handy, when you need to listen again 20x to make sense of a mumbled phrase... Newer versions might be available, as I got this years ago.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42 AM »
You could try cleaning it with some of the filters available for Audacity. There's not much (that's doable) you can't accomplish with Audacity. And it's free for the download.

I've never tried doing what you want to do with it, although I do use Audacity for a lot of other things. Look here and here for some ideas to get you started.

The real challenge is going to be the somewaht random character of dining room noises. That makes it difficult to filter them out without also removing things you'd rather not from your audio source. The best you can probably do is get rid of enough of the sounds that make you want to scream so that your recording is at least tolerable to listen to.

One of the mantras of the recording world is: "Don't try to fix it in the mix." Which is to say, getting your original source as good as you possibly can is 90% of achieving a good recording. So if you plan on doing a lot of recordings in environments like the above, look into getting a standalone portable recorder (sometimes called "field recorders") with noise suppression features such as musicians and news reporters use. Tascam, Zoom, Sony, and all the usual big names in audio make them. Not cheap. But what price do you want to place on keeping your sanity?

Luck!

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:39 PM »
iZotope RX4 will do this, but the learning curve is a bit steep. You might also try a free trial of Adobe Audition which has similar tools when working in spectral view. I've done similar things in Audition that aren't quite as pervasive as what you are describing. Audition is my daily workstation.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:36 AM »
Thank you very much for your help. :)

I was off line for almost two days since my internet was down. :(
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:45 AM by brahman »