topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Update of NirSoft's ZipInstaller  (Read 12352 times)

ashecorven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Update of NirSoft's ZipInstaller
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Hi,

Just found this site, so many useful tools and it really looks like a wonderful community.

Searched to see if the programme I've been looking for has already been written but had no luck.

[http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/zipinst.html]
"The ZipInstaller utility installs and uninstalls applications and utilities that do not provide an internal installation program. It automatically extracts all files from the Zip file, copies them to the destination folder you select, creates shortcuts in the start menu and in your desktop, and adds an uninstall module to allow you to automatically remove the software in the future."

I've been using it for quite a long time, it's a simple app that is invoked from the context menu of archives.

Unfortunately there has always been a problem with it. I contacted Nir to see if an update is possible but have had no response.

- The majority of programmes I want to install in this fashion don't include correct information if any (or ZipInstaller is not picking it up). ZipInstaller does not allow the user to alter the detected Company/Author, Product Name, version, description - before clicking Install, resulting in strange or blank entries in Programmes and Features (not at all desirable).

Would also be a thousand times better if it
- Supported other archive formats
- Detected whether programme is 32 or 64-bit and installed to Program Files or Program Files (x86) accordingly
- Had it's own installer!

What do you all think?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Update of NirSoft's ZipInstaller
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:23 AM »

ashecorven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:50 AM »
Hey Ath, thanks.

Does it have the same functionality to right click an archive and install it? (If it's listed in features I don't see it, or assume it's something else)

/edit: made less confusing.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:55 PM »
No, Inno Setup is a full-fledged installer builder (compiler), that you, as a developer, write a script for. It comes with a built-in wizard to generate a basic script from a set of files you point it at, but that still needs some work to make it nice and clean. There are some 3rd party automation tools that can generate a script, or part of a script, for you, but eventually, installation of many software tools usually requires more than a simple shortcut to an exe file. And most software that needs to be installed comes wrapped in an installer, often using Inno Setup or an NSIS installer (that I have next to none knowledge of, except from using it to install tools on my systems ;)).
And for portable software, there are several ways of handling the 'install' process, indeed often just an unzip/create shortcut(s), but what if the user has his own home-brew starter/menu script?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 08:52 AM »
This free script generator looks interesting:
https://randemsystem....com/innoscript.html

Perhaps a batch could be written in a few lines to unzip to a working folder, then run this script generator to create a simple Inno Setup script?

ashecorven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 09:36 AM »
for portable software, there are several ways of handling the 'install' process, indeed often just an unzip/create shortcut(s)

This is exactly what ZipInstaller is for (not just portable apps though), it's a quick installation process that adds an entry into Programmes & Features. Programmes installed this way have always worked even for quite large installations like the full cmder, however the entry in Programmes & Features may not be correct (see original post).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 09:47 AM »
I'm curious why the utility has not been kept up to date.  It seems like a cool idea.  I wonder if 64 bit stuff coming on has complicated things, along with the Programs and Features etc..

I remember for a time a version of InstallShield or a similar installer maker came with Borland Delphi.  It was fairly simple.  You made a folder hierarchy how you wanted the stuff on disk and it made the installer with shortcuts for the start menu.  It seems like something that an Inno tool should be able to make boilerplate.  Just pick up the name from the exe filename.

ashecorven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 11:06 AM »
I'm curious why the utility has not been kept up to date.  It seems like a cool idea.  I wonder if 64 bit stuff coming on has complicated things, along with the Programs and Features etc..

Glad you agree. :Thmbsup: Really hope this gets off the ground.
Scott Hanselman still recommends ZipInstaller, would be great if there was an updated version to take over and do things right.
Scott Hanselman's 2014 Ultimate Developer and Power Users Tool List for Windows

I don't see 64-bit being a problem (unless it's something other than detection you're discussing) ZipInstaller has had no issue with them (Regshot or RBTray for example). Info on whether it's 32 or 64-bit is in the File Header, Machine=014C (32-bit) or Machine=8664 (64-bit) and can be detected with 'file' or 'dumpbin'.

If there are multiple executables then the user can be prompted to choose which. Solves issue if there are both 32 and 64-bit exes in the zip (again, Regshot or RBTray for example).

Also I can't see Programmes and Features being a problem if the user can edit the detected information (or lack thereof - FastStone Capture v5.3 for example) as this would eliminate all the problems it currently has.

/edit: fixed examples

ashecorven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Anyone interested?  :-[

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Anyone interested?  :-[

I wouldn't mind having a "one click" tool that would unzip and make the shortcuts.  Shortcuts are one of those tasks that is tedious to do as a user.  But I agree there should be editable fields so the user can override the names/locations etc..

ashecorven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Guess it would make sense to make the context menu entry available on executables directly as well as have an option to add installed programme to startup.

ashecorven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:10 AM »
Not 100% how it works here, has this been picked up or should I be promoting the idea more?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 05:58 AM »
Well, as NirSoft dropped their ZipInstaller, and plenty free installer tools are available (Inno Setup, NSIS, Wix), a lot of software is available with their own installer. A zip-version (portable install) is usually just that, and often available next to the formal installer.

Don't think there is much interest here to start re-creating something that's been abandoned elsewhere, or somebody would have chimed in... :o