topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Another Linux blog goes bye-bye  (Read 3160 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another Linux blog goes bye-bye
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:27 PM »
From FOSS Force, this bit of news - which explains the 404 error I've been getting for the Linux Advocates feed:

‘Linux Advocates’ Throws in the Towel
FOSS Force

The website Linux Advocates is no more. The site, which focused on a variety of Linux issues, went offline on January 7th with little fanfare and no advance notice. The site had been being published for two years, having gone live in early 2013.

Before taking the site down, a notice was posted by site owner Dietrich Schmitz, which can still be read on the site’s Facebook page.

“I’ve decided to close Linux Advocates. It started out fun but turned into something else. People matter to me. There’s a Big World out there and Linux is one small facet of my life.

“I’ll continue to hang out on Google Plus and, if the spirit moves me, write something on my personal website. Thanks to all the LA Contributors.

“So, Goodbye Linux Advocates. Hello World.”

Schmitz did the lion’s share of writing for the site, which focused almost entirely Linux, both technically and otherwise. Occasionally, articles moved away from tech, into realm of politics and economics, having no clear connection with Linux or FOSS.

In the beginning, popular Linux writer Katherine Noyes, aka “Linux Girl,” was associated with Linux Advocates. Although it appeared to some that she might have had an ownership interest in the site, Schmitz says she did not. Her association with the site ended at least a year ago.

During the time Noyes was identified with the site, it created some excitement in the FOSS community, with many well known FOSS writers signing up to become regular contributors. Except for a couple of sporadic articles, that plan never came to fruition and the site mainly became a platform for Schmitz’s writings...

Read the rest here.

I'm not sure what to think. Sad to see a Nix site disappear. But not really surprised it didn't get many additional writers on board considering some of Mr. Schmitz's posts and his somewhat...er...cantankerous editorial policy. FWIW curmudgeonly commentary doesn't fly too well unless you're an established 'name' (with a stellar CV) in the larger Linux community. And that role is generally considered adequately filled by by Linus Torvalds and/or and Richard Stallman. Those two are pretty tough acts to follow.