topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Twilight Zone Scammer Bust  (Read 2897 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Twilight Zone Scammer Bust
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:26 AM »
From the Bwahaha Dept:

I've spent a few hours having fun watching a couple of security guys doing exposes of the 3rd rate Windows support scam. (Troy Hunt and someone from MalwareBites).

They're entertaining enough, with a mostly predictable "formula".

Then this one came along. Troy Hunt again. Except this one takes a twilight zone ending. You're welcome to listen to the whole thing, but if you want to just skip to the fun part, go to time stamp 53:00. After poking about Western Union and failing at the whole credit card bit of the scam, the guy struggles to spell "Google Chrome" a few times. This part is like a prologue so you can get settled into the whole atmosphere.

Then we get to the fun stuff.

At 54:40, the guy opens ... Notepad. He types up his own "temporary form". Laughable, but so far still "in formula".

A bit past 56:00, Troy begins his wind down by typing in total junk. Notice the guy still has team viewer on, ... and isn't reading it, but rather still reading his script.

As a public service to Renny, he is advised to take a restroom visit at 58:00.

The rest is ... epic!

:D

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=3j4pGJZV4jE

Honorable Mention:
Scammers meet the Australian Outback

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=WbyN8CiM2rQ

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:08 AM by TaoPhoenix »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Twilight Zone Scammer Bust
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:56 AM »
From the Bwahaha Dept:

I've spent a few hours having fun watching a couple of security guys doing exposes of the 3rd rate Windows support scam. (Troy Hunt and someone from MalwareBites).

They're entertaining enough, with a mostly predictable "formula".

Then this one came along. Troy Hunt again. Except this one takes a twilight zone ending. You're welcome to listen to the whole thing, but if you want to just skip to the fun part, go to time stamp 53:00. After poking about Western Union and failing at the whole credit card bit of the scam, the guy struggles to spell "Google Chrome" a few times. This part is like a prologue so you can get settled into the whole atmosphere.

Then we get to the fun stuff.

At 54:40, the guy opens ... Notepad. He types up his own "temporary form". Laughable, but so far still "in formula".

A bit past 56:00, Troy begins his wind down by typing in total junk. Notice the guy still has team viewer on, ... and isn't reading it, but rather still reading his script.

As a public service to Renny, he is advised to take a restroom visit at 58:00.

The rest is ... epic!

:D

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=3j4pGJZV4jE

Honorable Mention:
Scammers meet the Australian Outback

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=WbyN8CiM2rQ

In the first video, at 12:11, a timer pops up.  Troy dragged it off-screen so fast... it appeared to go right past the edge of the YouTube screen.
As if someone was watching me watch the video and controlling my machine.  Rewinding a few times calmed me down.  :)

Also.. listening to the three different 'tech support' people brought back some not-so-fond-memories as well.

...  ..-  -.-.  -.-  .  .-.

The FBI Scam had me jumping through hoops for a while... til i called Green Dot...   :-[ ;D :)

btw  what is: tera ma ka borFaceBook lists a: Tera maa ka boorGoogle shows a: Teri maa ki bur.
i presume it's Hindi gay slang for something.  i don't want to know.   :o