topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Filefacts.net - Smart File Advisor - looks like a PUP.  (Read 2488 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Filefacts.net - Smart File Advisor - looks like a PUP.
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:36 AM »
I posted this in case any forum members had a similar experience, though I couldn't find it referred to specifically on the DC Forum.
I clicked on a file the other day and this popped up on my laptop screen:

Filefacts.net  - Smart File Advisor pop-up.jpg

I did a DuckGo search on "Filefacts.net  - Smart File Advisor", and it is apparently benign software, being a "FREE" offering from various download sites of mixed reputation. Looks like a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), though neither MS Security Essentials (Defender) nor Malwarebytes objected to it.
I have no idea how this thing got installed on my system. I presume it must have slipped past me or was silently installed when I was hurriedly clicking "Next" whilst installing some program or other that I had downloaded and wanted to trial.
Anyway, I detached from the Internet and uninstalled the software using RevoUninstaller on max level scrubbing.
The last thing I want is some third-party software insinuating itself in unsolicited fashion into my system and "helpfully" intercepting system calls.
It could have been as bad as Norton/Symantec AV...    :o