topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Gamechat entry  (Read 14010 times)

martyjn

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Internet Games
    • Donate to Member
Gamechat entry
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:16 AM »
The submision that i am making to the borland competition is  a Lan or network game/chat server.Game chat makes a winsock connection betweeen the two processes and allows a simple text chat over this connection as well as gameplay for chess,checkers,norts and crosses and Reversi.It  is still at the Beta testing stage and i would appreciate anyones feedback or suggestions there are a few bugs that i know a bout and i am sure plenty that i havent found yet .
here is  a screenshot of the main program.

and of the chess game

My website has a page explaining the process of using the program at
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~martyjn/ and go to the page on GameChat
or the program can be directly downloaded from
http://www.members.o...martyjn/GameChat.zip
I would appreciate any feedback.
marty

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gamechat entry
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:04 PM »
fun  :Thmbsup:
now i just have to teach my cat how to play checkers so it can play against me from the other room  :huh:

martyjn

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Internet Games
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 06:27 PM »
I need a few people to help me test gamechat as i write it my msn messenger account is [email protected] so if anyone can help play checkers chess or reversi het the file attached to this (the current version)and send me an email.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 06:36 PM »
stop by the irc channel (#donationcoder on efnet); i'm busy sunday but i can help on monday.

martyjn

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Internet Games
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:41 AM »
!!!!warning this post is heavy!!!!
this post is about changing mirc to allow it to launch GameChat from irc!!!!!

I have changed my Mirc script to allow the Gamechat to be launched off irc ie the #donationcoder irc I have tested it on my local machine but not across the network yet (I invited myself to play) Gamechat.exe has to be either in the mirc directory or in the execution path for windows i added

InviteGameChat:{ /msg $1 runGameChat
  /run gamechat.exe server
}

to the popup tab in edit sript this sends a private message to the highlighted nickname in the nickname window when right clicked and InviteGamechat clicked on the popup window and runs GameChat with server passed as the commandline function telling it to run as server.Two seperate events are then added to handle the invitation on the recieving computer in the Remote tab.

on 1:DNS: /run gamechat.exe   $dns(1).addr   

on 1:TEXT: runGameChat*:?: /dns $nick

The Second responds to the Private message sent from the invitatin computer and does the domain name search dns on the nickname of the sending computer the dns function in turn calls the on DNS handler in the first line that runs gamechat and passes in the addr of the invitation computer allowin gamechat to connect to the invitation computers (server)Gamechat and Play Gamechat.To use this feature you need the latest version of GameChat that takes the commandline data from

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~martyjn/GameChat.zip

note changing the dns handler as above means that any dns lookup will launch GameChat and attempt to connect to the lookup.
I dont know if a similar thing can be accomplished in other irc clients.What i am trying to accomplish is to be able to challenge other users on the  #donationcoder channel (or any irc for that matter) to games that are part of Game chat(presently chess,checkers,Reversi and norts and crosses) and games that i add to this list.For any one that wants to attemp this in another irc client program Game chat needs to be passed server on the commandline to act as a server.And address on the commandline(where address is the address of the server  or its IP number) to act as the client to connect to the server.
Note i do plan on adding dialogs to ask the reciever before connecting i need to test it first.
I am sorry if i didnt explain this very well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 08:55 AM »
cool idea.
i'm ready to help test in the irc channel.