topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Joint Text encryption on PC and IOS 6  (Read 3032 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Joint Text encryption on PC and IOS 6
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:15 AM »
Hi,
I would like to send encrypted text within mails that would work both on PC & iPhone. On PC, the free BestCrypt Text Encoder is fine but I need to decode/encode also on iPhone mails.  Could you recommend a solution ?
Thanks.
.merle1.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Joint Text encryption on PC and IOS 6
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32 AM »
I use PGP/GPG to handle email encryption on the PC and Android (via APG).  Surely there is a PGP/GPG client for IOS?  Forgive me, if not, as I don't own an iPhone.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:24 AM »
I use PGP/GPG to handle email encryption on the PC and Android (via APG).  Surely there is a PGP/GPG client for IOS?  Forgive me, if not, as I don't own an iPhone.

Take a look at iPGmail and oPenGP in the app store.

Can't vouch for either since I don't trust my iPhone to begin with. It's a proprietary black box - so any sense of real personal data security you may have is either wishful thinking, or misplaced hope at best.

About the only "signal security "that's still workable is a single-use cipher pad used in conjunction with a piece of paper delivered by a human courier. If a message truly needs to be kept secure - keep it off the grid. Completely off.
 8)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Thanks for the directions !  I'll look into them !  I am a little bit afraid that PGP is too "heavy" or complicated to use.  But first things first, optimization will come later on.
.merle1.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Can't vouch for either since I don't trust my iPhone to begin with. It's a proprietary black box - so any sense of real personal data security you may have is either wishful thinking, or misplaced hope at best.

At least with Android, if you are brave enough to root your device and get a grip on things. A lot of people either don't have the knowledge or inclination to do that, though.