topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Random thoughts: Launcher search  (Read 2547 times)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Random thoughts: Launcher search
« on: August 08, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Today I was working out how to use FARR as a sort of compound replacement for Search and Run in my LBC based Start Menu alternative. Really the only thing I miss about the Start Menu alternatives is the ability to search the Start Menu itself as a shortcut to clicking 2 or 3 times. The extra clicks aren't really a problem with the LBC configuration I created. In fact that was part of the point, but it occurs to me that if you had a launcher with a text-based configuration file (XML ideally) you could do some really cool things by taking advantage of metadata.

The obvious use, like the Start Menu, would be simply finding a program which you could do by name or mouseover hint or executable, or whatever other metadata might be available. That wouldn't necessarily be a huge timesaver except that if you had something like a list of batch files or scripts you use for configuration or maintenance or whatever you could have them at your fingertips whenever you wanted.

Or maybe you might want to use FARR to bring up an entire menu rather than an individual item. Depending on what (and how much) metadata was in your configuration file you could perhaps even assemble a list from multiple menus so you don't have to track down each one individually.

Obviously LBC isn't currently setup for that kind of access but it would be an interesting idea. And of course you would have the flexibility to use some other launcher entirely instead of the 2 components being integrated together.

Sadly I'm a long way from being a programmer and not the kind of person likely to finish a project like this. Things like this just pop into my head and I'm compelled to see where they lead.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.