topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What the future may hold for all of Amercia will soon be seen in Oakland, CA  (Read 3194 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

kipLyallCartoon_surveillanceState_72dpi.jpg

From ArsTechnica, this disturbing article:

OAKLAND, CA—At a regularly scheduled city council meeting last night, the Oakland City Council unanimously accepted a $2 million federal grant that would create a round-the-clock "Domain Awareness Center" (DAC) in the West Coast port city. In doing so, Oakland thrust itself into the forefront of the national debate about surveillance and its limits—and two dozen vociferous protestors shouted "shame, shame, shame!" as the council voted after midnight to accept the money.

A May 2013 DAC slide (PDF) from a presentation by the Port of Oakland shows that the system would combine not only existing surveillance cameras and thermal imaging devices at the Port of Oakland, but also the Oakland Police Department's license plate readers, ShotSpotter gunshot detection devices, CCTV cameras, surveillance cameras at Oakland city schools, and dozens of other cameras from regional law enforcement agencies, including the California Highway Patrol. According to that schedule, the DAC should be fully operational by the end of June 2014, and it will aggregate more than 1,000 camera feeds.

"Currently, the system is activated in times of emergency. If it is completed by July 2014, then we would be looking to staff the facility on a 24/7 basis," Renee Domingo, the city's director of emergency services and homeland security, told the council.

Time is running out folks...

Oakland skipped step 4 and proceeded to step 5
TMW2013-06-12colorLARGE.jpg

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
They call California the land of fruits and nuts for a reason ... Ya know? ;)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

You know, it's strange, but Oakland has always had bad laws passed over the years, they're in the news quite a lot with controversial issues.  I don't know what kind of people live there, but if I were one of them I'd be looking for another place to live.....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 You know, it's strange, but Oakland has always had bad laws passed over the years, they're in the news quite a lot with controversial issues.  I don't know what kind of people live there, but if I were one of them I'd be looking for another place to live.....

Funny you should say that. Ive always thought Oakland CA's government and police force had a certain penchant for doing the "bad as I wanna be" shtick. Almost like they're trying to court attention by behaving like some ill mannered child would.
 :-\
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:48 PM by 40hz »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  You know, it's strange, but Oakland has always had bad laws passed over the years, they're in the news quite a lot with controversial issues.  I don't know what kind of people live there, but if I were one of them I'd be looking for another place to live.....

Funny you should say that. Ive always thought Oakland CA's government and police force had a certain penchant for doing the "bad as I wanna be" shtick. Almost like they're trying to court attention by behaving like some ill mannered child would.
 :-\ 

Yeah, back in the 70's and 80's they were real rebel rousers.   8)  But they totally reversed tactics from the 90's on.