topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 10 Package Manager vs. Chocolatey  (Read 2919 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 10 Package Manager vs. Chocolatey
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Apparently Windows 10 is going to have a proper package manager.  Except... with the way that they've gone with the Windows Store, I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Enter Chocolatey.  It is a package manager... and exists.  And is OSS.

... or not.

Enter the new version of Chocolatey.  That was a successful Kickstarter project.  And mentioned... Chocolatey Pro.

4c7546e7d19c082fdec46f88bdbd1300_large.png

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  I love Chocolatey.  But I hate the dichotomy of a pro version vs. a 'community' version.  And I don't trust Microsoft to have our best interests at heart... even with their embrace of OSS.  And this is from someone that loves MS products and .NET.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Package Manager vs. Chocolatey
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Got a client working with the currently available version for a proof of concept project. If you're maintaining your own private software repository, some of those pro features possibly aren't as important.

It all looks good so far - but the jury is still out. 8)

re: Community vs Pro

My feeling is "however the developer wants to structure it." They did the work - they get to decide how to distribute/sell it. That's only fair. If the community edition is so crippled it doesn't work in a real world setting, or their Kickstarter tries to pull a bait & switch, word gets around fast. If that is the case, the community input (and free QC and bug hunting) soon dries up. It's a self-correcting relationship.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:09 PM by 40hz »